Splay leg and removing from incubator

hotmessmom

In the Brooder
May 14, 2023
Hey y’all! We are hatching some coturnix quail. We had about 7 hatch last night, that was late day 17, and a few more have pipped and are starting to zip this morning, early day 18! They are all looking fabulous and healthy, but I’m suspecting one chick that hatched last night has splay leg. Both legs are stuck out to the sides and it looks like the poor thing can’t get his feet under him. This is my first time dealing with splay leg and from everything I’ve heard, the sooner you treat the better. I plan to use the bandaid method, but I’m wondering if I should open the incubator to get him out, splint his legs and put him back even though there are still eggs hatching? Or is he okay to wait until the rest of the eggs are finished?? Thank y’all!!

It's okay to open the incubator for a few seconds to get him and any dry chicks out. I would start treatment as soon as possible.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/treating-splay-leg-in-quail.78692/
I actually took the poor guy out about 15 minutes after I posted this because I hated seeing him trying to walk in there, it was pitiful ☹ but I moved him and his dry siblings to the brooder, I also had to do a crooked toe sandal on one of his feet but otherwise he is doing great and is now standing tall with his feet under him! Thank you so much!!

I'm glad to hear that it's doing better. What do you have on the bottom of your incubator? Grippy shelf liner can go a long ways towards preventing leg issu

I'm glad to hear that it's doing better. What do you have on the bottom of your incubator? Grippy shelf liner can go a long ways towards preventing leg issues.
I have shelf liner on top of paper towels! Not sure what happened with him but we’ve had 18/20 hatch so far and he was the only one with splayed leg

Back
Top Bottom