New to Hatching- Chick Has Leg problems

EGregg

Hatching
May 3, 2019
My chick has curled toes and one of its legs will not extend very far. Also, its hocks are swollen. Is there anything I can do to help this sweet chick? I’m so worried and my heart is breaking for it! I appreciate any advice!

Attachments

• 0E007A2F-5373-4EF6-9CAA-A137BFE2058A.jpeg
    0E007A2F-5373-4EF6-9CAA-A137BFE2058A.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 0CCB8D85-4F38-4AA9-87AE-0D1817EF80BD.jpeg
    0CCB8D85-4F38-4AA9-87AE-0D1817EF80BD.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to BYC. First start some chick vitamins that contain riboflavin (vitamen B 2) orally or some B complex 1/4 tablet daily in feed. Curled under toes can be a riboflavin deficiency. Leg bone deformities and slipped tendons can be common. Was this a chick that you hatched? I will check backmin the morning.

Thank you for replying! I will do that. Do you have any brand recommendation? Yes, I hatched this in my 1st classroom.

Thank you for replying! I will do that. Do you have any brand recommendation? Yes, I hatched this in my 1st classroom.
I'm not @Eggcessive, but I will jump in. There are liquid B complex vitamins available, too. I don't know that there is any brand preference, just whatever you can get as soon as you can get it. The quicker the vitamins start going in, the better off the little one will be. Dollar General Stores carry the B Complex, I know, if you have them near you, and their prices are quite reasonable (better than even Walmart). There are versions with Vitam C in them, too, but you don't want to get those.

A few helpful sites about foot and leg issues in hatchlings:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/
https://unitedpeafowlassociation.org/articles/orthopedics-for-poultry-made-easy-for-beginners/

The swollen hock at the first (heel) joint may be a slipped tendon. The vitamins will help with that a bit, but you can try to help coax the tendon back where it belongs, too.
Ive got this pic here, showing where the tendon is supposed to go (in blue) between the bumps of the bone above it, circled in green. The tendon can often be gently moved right back where it belongs. Once it's placed correctly, often a gentle bandage with a narrow 1" or so piece of Coban, Coflex, or similar self-adhesive wrap will help it stay there until the tendon will stay put by itself.

Attachments

• bird heel 02.png
    bird heel 02.png
    301.3 KB · Views: 6
Thank you! This is what I was able to find. I hope this is the right thing. I searched for liquid, but could only find liquid B 12. Any tips for correct feed to vitamin ratio? Thanks again!

Attachments

• 985805EE-B8F6-4F3D-AB44-1A97D48CF879.jpeg
    985805EE-B8F6-4F3D-AB44-1A97D48CF879.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom