New to Bourbon Reds - my poults are quite light colored - pic heavy

fowlfriends

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Battle Ground, Wa
In the past few years, I have only had BB bronze and whites. This year, due to problems with shipping to my local feed store, I ended up needing to find turkeys late. I was able to locate 6 poults - 4 bourbon reds and 2 BB bronze.

As you can see from the photos below, the bourbon reds are a VERY light color - the feathers are pretty much a solid creamy white. They are 2 weeks 5 days old in the photos. As I have no experience, I did not know what color to expect. Now... looking around at photos, I am seeing that my little ones are quite light in comparison to all the others I have seen. Other than the coloring seeming odd to me, they are relatively healthy. One has what appear to be droopy wings, although only the bottom wings hang down - shown in photos. This is not a heat issue - her wings have been like this since I picked her up 5 days ago. I am hoping their change in diet will help fix what ever the issue may be.

Comments/experience welcome and appreciated.

Andorra078.jpg

Andorra062.jpg

Andorra049.jpg

Andorra070.jpg

Andorra027.jpg

Andorra025.jpg

Andorra039.jpg

Andorra042.jpg

Andorra036.jpg

Andorra086.jpg

I think somebody was hoping for an early Thanksgiving here
Andorra067.jpg

Those are not bourbon reds. They are some variety of white turkes. My Midget Whites looked the same color when they were hatched. Kept that color for weeks but have molted out blazing white. I thought you could sex them by it but you can't.

They do seem pretty light as poults.

Some breeders have not selected properly in their breeders and there is a lot of washed out bourbons going around, to what some would call a buff, but in reality they are a washed out BR due to poor breeding.

Thank you for the opinions! I have had BBW's before, and they do resemble them. I just want to give the person who sold them to me the benefit of the doubt, and am still hopefull they end up being poorly bred bourbon reds.

Lets just say they are a light colored bourbon red - if so, should I still see some red coloring as they mature?

I feel strongly those are not little Bourbon red's. The color is off, maybe a mutt turkey but not pure bourbon reds.

ML

Back
Top Bottom