Welcome. I am sorry you lost a few. Your flock is beautiful.
Thanks, they are a great bunch...have been through some molts with the older ones, some bumblefoot stuff, and BYC has been such a good resource for external/internal parasites and lots of chicken related advice & ideas. I tried to pick the pretty pictures for this topic 😉

I didn't think losing a chicken would hit me so hard. The first loss we had was our fault with ventilation wire being too big & a weasel got in our "old coop" and killed two hens (Claire - Golden Comet & Valerie - Rhode Island Red). We were building a new coop at the time & that got done ASAP. And we fixed the "old coop" ventilation with hardware cloth. Worst of all is I lost my favorite gal summer '23 (Spot - a Black Australorp) and another gal in the fall '23 (Nattie - Buff Orpington).

Oh, I see you have a variety flock yourself! How neat - what are your speckled sussex hens like? I love their color patterns & the Jubilee Orpingtons look very similar. Our Calif. Whites can be a bit loud and I like the more quiet chatter I get from the Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, Lavender Orpington, Buff Brahmas..

Thanks, they are a great bunch...have been through some molts with the older ones, some bumblefoot stuff, and BYC has been such a good resource for external/internal parasites and lots of chicken related advice & ideas. I tried to pick the pretty pictures for this topic 😉

I didn't think losing a chicken would hit me so hard. The first loss we had was our fault with ventilation wire being too big & a weasel got in our "old coop" and killed two hens (Claire - Golden Comet & Valerie - Rhode Island Red). We were building a new coop at the time & that got done ASAP. And we fixed the "old coop" ventilation with hardware cloth. Worst of all is I lost my favorite gal summer '23 (Spot - a Black Australorp) and another gal in the fall '23 (Nattie - Buff Orpington).

Oh, I see you have a variety flock yourself! How neat - what are your speckled sussex hens like? I love their color patterns & the Jubilee Orpingtons look very similar. Our Calif. Whites can be a bit loud and I like the more quiet chatter I get from the Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, Lavender Orpington, Buff Brahmas..
I love the SS breed. They are friendlier than most and want to hang out. Lucy even likes being in the house when she can.

Back
Top Bottom