johnniejacque

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2024
Hello. Im a new member-I have been reading these threads and comments, to learn how to care for 2 ducks, that were given to me last summer. This site was a lifesaver during the winter, and I really appreciate the advice!
I have a female Peking and (what I believe is) a female Rouen. Both ducks grew up together and are about an 1 and 1/2 yr old. They about lay 2-3 eggs each day. The Peking just lays them wherever, but the Rouen lays hers in a nest (Lately she’s been broody and stays on the nest all day, except to eat and bathe).
I came out this morning to find the Peking dead. She was completely fine yesterday! I found a soft egg with no shell and several spots that looked like she passed unformed, shell-less eggs, with runny yolk and whites! One spot was right next to her. They usually eat boomgars duck feed, but they were out so I had to buy purina. They are “free-range”, love to dig for worms and bugs and I give them extra mealworms, berries and greens almost daily. I was outside with them last evening and she died before sunrise-I can’t imagine what could’ve caused her sudden death. 😢

Hello. Im a new member-I have been reading these threads and comments, to learn how to care for 2 ducks, that were given to me last summer. This site was a lifesaver during the winter, and I really appreciate the advice!
I have a female Peking and (what I believe is) a female Rouen. Both ducks grew up together and are about an 1 and 1/2 yr old. They about lay 2-3 eggs each day. The Peking just lays them wherever, but the Rouen lays hers in a nest (Lately she’s been broody and stays on the nest all day, except to eat and bathe).
I came out this morning to find the Peking dead. She was completely fine yesterday! I found a soft egg with no shell and several spots that looked like she passed unformed, shell-less eggs, with runny yolk and whites! One spot was right next to her. They usually eat boomgars duck feed, but they were out so I had to buy purina. They are “free-range”, love to dig for worms and bugs and I give them extra mealworms, berries and greens almost daily. I was outside with them last evening and she died before sunrise-I can’t imagine what could’ve caused her sudden death. 😢
Welcome to BYC. I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs Would you be interested in having a necropsy done to determine her cause of death?

A very warm :welcome it's a pleasure finding you here today.

There's be a tremendous amount of soft shell problems in chickens. I have actually lost count of how many I have heard of. My last 3 chickens had the same problems

I was so sad to read that you lost your duck. At least she was cared for while she was with you.

People have so much knowledge on BYC, about many species. You will find threads on all sorts of subjects.

Catch you soon :)

Back
Top Bottom