Parront

Crossing the Road
Jul 27, 2017
Prescott, AZ
Hi, I am a new member to BYC.
I owned chickens in the 80's -- I ordered a box of 50 chickens from Murray McMurray, from their catalog. I have been enjoying reading this forum without joining for a few years now, because I was chicken-less. Now, I have retired and moved to Prescott, AZ and am considering buying a place where I can have all the birds (including chickens) that I want!

But, at the moment, I have a flock of one: a 23 year-old African Grey parrot, named Dylan. Dylan can say what chickens only act out! Such as, "Want more!", "Come here", "whatcha doin'?", and she barks at crows. She is definitely a bird, only with a few more brains.

One reason I joined was a member called DesertChick, who is in AZ and is raising Naked-Necks and Dorkings. I have been fascinated by Dorkings since my first chicken catalog in 1988. I did not want any then, too rare for a breed for a mom with kids who will be holding them! I began with Orpingtons and Brown Leghorns, with a few Cornish Cross meat birds to make up the box of 50. I did butcher them, and they were delicious. A couple Cornish-X did live too long, and were named the "Fat Biddies" by the children. The youngest did not eat chicken for a while after the last biddies met their fate, she still borders on vegetarian at ~30 years old! You should learn where your food comes from as a child, but parents beware, these lessons sometimes backfire on us!

I hope to meet some new friends in AZ!

Hi :frow
Welcome to BYC!
We are so glad you joined our coop.
This video should help you find your way around the site.

Back
Top Bottom