New Ducklings Not Allowed in Our Neighborhood

profam4

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 4, 2009
My husband bought us 4 ducklings 1 Muscovy, 1 Pekin, 1 Rouen, and 1 Cayuga we have had them about 2 weeks in our house we are building a coop and pen but decided to look into the city codes. My husband called the village and apparently we are not allowed to have fowl in our neighborhood. Our neighbors on left and right are fine with them being in our yard but the neighbor behind us is someone we don't get along with. Here is our question:

A. Do we sell them while they are still young and avoid tickets and angry neighbors and bills for building the coop?

B. Do we go ahead with our plans and take our chances and put up a large privacy tree and camoflauge our coop and pen and hope the ducks will keep quiet when our neighbors are home?

PLEASE ADVISE!! We need to make a decision asap.

Thank!!

Feel free to e-mail me [email protected]

is there anyway to kinda hide the coop? Like not near the back neighbors? Alot of us on here are LAW BREAKERS, LOL!

My neighbor to the left HATES us and we put the coop on the other side near back, kinda out of sight. We also got NO ROO, just in case.

My ducks a pretty quiet but every breed is different. I would say, DO IT! But that's your call.......

When all is said and done it all depends on your neighbors, If they blow you in or you think they will blow you in, ditch the ducks! If nobody complains you are unlikely to have problems. Usually you get off free on the first complaint with a grace period to dispose of the ducks. Is your local rule just about ducks or about farm animals in general?

I have been thru a bit of this and our town DOES allow ducks. Neighbor called animal control, they came out, said our ducks were fine. Our ducks are too loud to hide so if you have tough neighbors you will have a problem. If you have a nasty neighbor then they will only make your life difficult. Tough decision, but I would probably find good homes for them :-(

Keep the ducks! I'm not allowed to have chickens or ducks where i live ether!
wink.png

Okay listen to me:

Pekin ducks are LOUD. If that duckling is a female, all of the privacy shrubs or fence in the world aren't going to hide them. My Pekin hen is quacking her head off right now as I type and I can hear her inside my house, upstairs, even when I'm in the shower!
They say "QUACK" "QUACK" "QUACK" several times a day.

I have to say that I feel like you should have done your legal research before bringing them home. I am not trying to be snarky or mean, just realisitic.

If your neighbor behind you doesn't get along with you and you're not allowed to have ducks, yet you have at least one very loud breed there- you are going to hear about it and in the end probably have to get rid of all of your ducks.

If I were you now, I would go and nicely rehome the Rouen, Cayuga, and the Pekin and go back and have your husband buy you 1-3 more Muscovies as they are virtually silent.

Look up Pekin ducks on youtube and you are sure to find some sound bites to show you what you're in for.
You won't be hiding them from anyone!

In the future please do legal AND breed research before you get animals.

Last edited:
Thats weird..My Pekin was real quiet.. And my Cayuga was really really noisy and got the cops called on me.. But others on here said that their Cayugas were quiet.. Maybe it is the individual duck.. Or maybe my Pekin was a male.. Are they quietier..Cause if it wasnt for the cayuga you would have never knew I had ducks..

Yes, the females tend to be much louder than males. Pekin females remind me of the 'Penguin' in Batman --- Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack !!! Ducks have a lot to say, too, especially at feeding time. We have quite a few ducks and at feeding time, you can't talk over them~~!

I have no Muscovies and am unfamiliar with them. They are a totally different kind of duck.

Back
Top Bottom