New chicks & leaving for a trip!

TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
Hello everyone,

Recently one of my hens hatched some chicks. She's done a stupendous job with them lately & finally got them out & about today to eat & explore! They loved it so much that after I put them in the nesting box, a few hours later.. they're back out with mama. It's a nice day for it today, (temperature wise & not a lot of wind) but tomorrow will be a different story. 🙁

My only problem is that I'll be leaving for a short trip in the morning. Tomorrow a huge cold front is blowing in where temperatures will plummet to the teens & the wind will bring 50mph gusts. 😫 I'm not worried about my chickens, but the babies! I have a nursery all set up for them. (In case I needed to take them from mama.. plus I have another bunch on the way) I'm scared to leave them as is due to them not being used to getting back up in the nesting box. Plus, I'm not totally sure how they do with the roosters yet..

I'll be gone for a little over 24 hours, but my main question is, would you take them from their mama? Should I try to move her with them? I desperately need guidance or I'll be worrying the whole time I'm gone! 😅 Thank you in advance for any pointers!

PS. My husband will be on site, but he doesn't hardly ever mess with my chickens & is limited on what he can do.. so I'm preparing as if he won't even be here!

Attachments

• 20220114_160103.jpg
    20220114_160103.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
If you are only gone for the day and the you are uncertain about the weather, I personally would bring momma and the chicks in, maybe if you have a large dog crate or similar.
But I am a very hands on chicken owner, so there is that.😊

Hello everyone,

Recently one of my hens hatched some chicks. She's done a stupendous job with them lately & finally got them out & about today to eat & explore! They loved it so much that after I put them in the nesting box, a few hours later.. they're back out with mama. It's a nice day for it today, (temperature wise & not a lot of wind) but tomorrow will be a different story. 🙁

My only problem is that I'll be leaving for a short trip in the morning. Tomorrow a huge cold front is blowing in where temperatures will plummet to the teens & the wind will bring 50mph gusts. 😫 I'm not worried about my chickens, but the babies! I have a nursery all set up for them. (In case I needed to take them from mama.. plus I have another bunch on the way) I'm scared to leave them as is due to them not being used to getting back up in the nesting box. Plus, I'm not totally sure how they do with the roosters yet..

I'll be gone for a little over 24 hours, but my main question is, would you take them from their mama? Should I try to move her with them? I desperately need guidance or I'll be worrying the whole time I'm gone! 😅 Thank you in advance for any pointers!

PS. My husband will be on site, but he doesn't hardly ever mess with my chickens & is limited on what he can do.. so I'm preparing as if he won't even be here!
I'm definitely thinking about it now! I just hope she stays put & doesn't try to venture out. It's not an enclosed area. 😕
Agreed. It's only 24hrs and better to be safe than sorry. I would put Mumma & chicks together somewhere thats a nice temperature while your gone. Feed & water. They'll be fine 👌

Back
Top Bottom