New cages... whats missing?

Star428

Songster
Mar 30, 2023
I just set up these new cages but I just can't stop having this feeling that somethings missing? What is it?
20230915_192246.jpg

20230915_192253.jpg

For the first one, I’d say more shredding/foraging toys.
For the second, Maybe another natural wood perch and some shredding/foraging toys.

I just set up these new cages but I just can't stop having this feeling that somethings missing? What is it?
View attachment 3636781
View attachment 3636782
First off, it looks a little small. I'd recommend a flight cage. Birds like to get up away from the floor, and in my experience it helps decrease neurotic behaviors.
Second, be wary of rope perches and remove them if they get chewed as cotton has killed a few birds I know.
Third, I'd recommend stainless steel bowls as bacteria gathers easily in scratches or porosity on plastic. I also find that my birds enjoy foraging toys and especially seagrass mats they can climb on as swings. However, you know your birds best, and if their current toys engage them and keep them stimulated, that's great. Others already mentioned having a calcium source.
You didn't ask but say it anyway (sorry) - hookbills should not be fed seeds as a significant portion of their daily diet. A quality pellet and balanced veggie/grain chop will help your birds live longer with fewer behavioral problems.
1695400220741.png

Here's an example of some of the types of toys and branches I give my birds. I like to give them platforms to give their feet a change of scenery and for enrichment. Most of my birds seem to like them a lot.
Best of luck with your birds!

First off, it looks a little small. I'd recommend a flight cage. Birds like to get up away from the floor, and in my experience it helps decrease neurotic behaviors.
Second, be wary of rope perches and remove them if they get chewed as cotton has killed a few birds I know.
Third, I'd recommend stainless steel bowls as bacteria gathers easily in scratches or porosity on plastic. I also find that my birds enjoy foraging toys and especially seagrass mats they can climb on as swings. However, you know your birds best, and if their current toys engage them and keep them stimulated, that's great. Others already mentioned having a calcium source.
You didn't ask but say it anyway (sorry) - hookbills should not be fed seeds as a significant portion of their daily diet. A quality pellet and balanced veggie/grain chop will help your birds live longer with fewer behavioral problems.
View attachment 3642270
Here's an example of some of the types of toys and branches I give my birds. I like to give them platforms to give their feet a change of scenery and for enrichment. Most of my birds seem to like them a lot.
Best of luck with your birds!
I'm trying to find stainless steel bowls that can fit in that same spot, and yes, I'm getting a couple foraging toys for the birds from mysafebirdstore
Usually they don't have this much seed top one usually gets more of a mix with other "treats" and bottom one was just at the bottom at the food container so it wasn't mixed as good

I'm trying to find stainless steel bowls that can fit in that same spot, and yes, I'm getting a couple foraging toys for the birds from mysafebirdstore
Usually they don't have this much seed top one usually gets more of a mix with other "treats" and bottom one was just at the bottom at the food container so it wasn't mixed as good
Sounds great! I recommend Harrisons and TOPs for pellet brands.

Back
Top Bottom