New baby chicks

Question about one of my chicks. One of them keeps having a tiny bit of poop stuck to her. I've been reading a little on here about pasty butt. When I pick her up and wipe with a damp cloth, it seems to come clean but the poop is still stuck to her feathers. It doesn't seem too stuck on her vent. Thoughts?

Question about one of my chicks. One of them keeps having a tiny bit of poop stuck to her. I've been reading a little on here about pasty butt. When I pick her up and wipe with a damp cloth, it seems to come clean but the poop is still stuck to her feathers. It doesn't seem too stuck on her vent. Thoughts?

Yes sounds like pasty butt. Sometimes died poop stays on the feathers unless you really work to get it off. But continue to wipe the vent area until it clears up.

welcome-byc.gif

I just got my chicks this Sunday and they are so fun to have. You seem to have done a ton of research like I have. Enjoys the little chicks
yippiechickie.gif

So last night I rinsed pasty bottom girl under some warm running water. Then applied a little olive oil with a qtip. Everyone seemed fine this am, I think I will need to transfer them to a higher box soon. It seems like a few are trying to fly. This am I checked her and there was a little crustiness but nothing major. I checked her again a few minutes ago and I decided to rinse her under some warm trinkling water. As I was rinsing and then gently wiped she started pooping. It was a ton of poop for a little chick. Hopeful that little fountain of poop I just witnessed has resolved the issue.

Can't believe how stinkin cute they are!

The girls are a week old now. 2 of the little beauties have been spreading their wings and trying to escape. One has flown on top of the waterer. My dad brought buy a bigger tote that is probably double the size of what we just had them in and a few inches taller. We have some metal organizer boxes that you can form into cubes that we were just about to get rid of but when we realized we needed something to put on top of the box we have them in, realized these were perfect. So I have two put together and they go nicely right over the top to prevent any escapees. They are so stinkin' cute. I do need to post some pictures soon.

Back
Top Bottom