New baby chicks

chic101

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2015
Hello. I've been quietly reading, researching and learning on here for months. We live in MA, have a beautiful fenced in yard and an almost 2 year old pup. Two kids ages 4 and 6. We've been contemplating becoming backyard chicken owners and today we took the plunge. We decided on 3 gold sex links and 3 black sex links. Took them home about 3 hours ago.

They chirped a ton in the box as we were getting them in the car. I had the heat blaring on the floor vents and they settled down a bit on the ride home. I was scared of having the heat lamp on while being gone from the house so I only put it on when we got home. Got the set up with starter food and water with probiotics. All but one seemed immediately comfortable. But then that last one found some water and food and seems perfectly content. I'm so happy. They are the cutest things I've ever seen!!

I have them in a room that we have a pellet stove on. We are running out of pellets soon and was thinking about bringing them upstairs tomorrow while we are all at work and school. And the dog will be in her crate and could observe them all day. The house temp upstairs is about 69 but the sun would also keep them nice and warm with of course the heat lamp.

Kim

Congratulations! You're doing the right thing, Carry on.
clap.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on the new babies!! Keep them nice and warm for a few weeks. Start them out at 90 degrees constant temp and lower it by 5 degrees each week for 5 to 6 weeks.

If you have any questions about your new babies, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC, Kim!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Congratulations on the new chicks! Sex-Links are wonderful egg layers with good temperaments that I'm sure you'll enjoy.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

Good luck with your new chicks! Hopefully, they grow into a wonderful flock for you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom