Need to add ventilation but how?

Great news everyone! My neighbor agreed for me to pay a little at a time AND my husband found this video of someone else that did the exact same thing by joining the coops together and adding ventilation! Check it out!! What do you guys thing about this?

Joined coops
Did I miss another link?
ETA: Oh, there it is.......but not working?

Last edited:
I'm so bad at math can you explain how you got 4.5 sq ft? My thought was 1.5 squared ft on two sides. Wouldn't that be 3ft squared. Ughhh 😫
you said 18 inches by 18 inches, which is 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft. to get 1.5 sq ft, you just take the square root of 1.5 which is 1.2 ft. which is 1 ft and 2.4 inches, roughly 15 inches because you want to round up because 3 sq ft is the bare minimum in ideal conditions.

Pics are in the links.

I would start by cutting out the triangle directly under the roof peak on both sides and replacing with hardwire cloth. I can't tell from the pics where the roost is. You want the bottom of your ventilation to be about 1 foot above the birds' heads when they roost, but that coop is so small it's hard to tell if that's feasible.

I would max 3 birds in there. Definitely not 6 as per the product specs
having looked at the coop in the store there is no roost inside.
the OP will have to add that herself

Now that you have 2 to connect-that is awesome! More space! Keep in mind that sometimes Silkies don’t mesh well with other regular birds (the Silkies get picked on), so you may need to keep an eye out for that too.

Will you have a covered area for winter? I might have missed that bit of info.

Good luck! Enjoy your chickens! If you run into problems, make adjustments at that time. Right now, while they are young you should be ok.

You didn't miss it. May I ask what you mean? 😳 What do I need to do to winterize it? I bought a coop warmer in case I need it but now I'm reading a lot of people say don't heat it so I don't know 🤷‍♀️

You didn't miss it. May I ask what you mean? 😳 What do I need to do to winterize it? I bought a coop warmer in case I need it but now I'm reading a lot of people say don't heat it so I don't know 🤷‍♀️

Chickens HATE snow -it is SCARY to them. Seriously, they will stand in the coop door and will NOT enter the run/leave coop when the scary white stuff appears. You can spread straw out to cover the scary white stuff though, that usually works. But, in general having some cover for rain and snow is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom