NC - My 1st Chickens

Jx2inNC

Songster
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Caraway, NC
Well, living in rural NC I figured it was about time...

Since I have yet to load the pictures of the current status of the house & pen, I'll ease into this one with some pictures of the chickens that are currently awaiting their new home:

(These pictures are a week or so old, so they have grown a bit since then.)

(1) Dominique
- judging by his comb currently, he appears to be a future rooster

DSC_0833.jpg

DSC_0834.jpg

(2) Americana/Araucana
-hopefully both pullets, but one is quite large already –– I've got my fingers crossed

DSC_0836.jpg

DSC_0835.jpg

DSC_0844.jpg

DSC_0845.jpg

(1) Rhode Island Red
-got to be a cockerel, if you saw him now...

DSC_0838.jpg

DSC_0837.jpg

(1) Blue Silkie bantam
- no idea, it may take a while to figure out

DSC_0839.jpg

DSC_0840.jpg

(1) White Cochin bantam
- unsure of gender

DSC_0841.jpg

DSC_0842.jpg

(1) "Assorted Bantam"
- I'd put my money on a Black Japanese
- appears to be a cockerel at this point

DSC_0846.jpg

DSC_0847.jpg

(2) White Silkie bantams
-unsure on gender –– again, may take a while to figure out

DSC_0848.jpg

DSC_0849.jpg

DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_0851.jpg

(1) Black Cochin bantam
- unsure of gender

DSC_0852.jpg

DSC_0853.jpg

(1) Speckled Sussex
- I'm going to say it is a cockerel, but it'd be nice if it weren't

DSC_0857.jpg

DSC_0858.jpg

(1) "Assorted Pullet"
- judging by the name, I'm going to hope it is a female...
- likely a Golden Comet sex-link

DSC_0859.jpg

DSC_0860.jpg

Their home for the time being:

DSC_0861.jpg

DSC_0862.jpg

DSC_0864.jpg

DSC_0865.jpg

DSC_0869.jpg

DSC_0872.jpg

DSC_0873.jpg

DSC_0875.jpg

DSC_0877.jpg

Again, these pictures are a little outdated (for fast growing chicks!) so they don't quite depict them as they are now.

Also, is it appropriate to include my house and pen build in this thread as well?

I've/We've browsed around for a while, but glad to finally join!
Thanks,

Jared (& Julie!)

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm outside of Asheboro.
My folks are from Enka-Candler, where I grew up some of the time, so I think I know where you are!
Thanks for the welcome!

welcome-byc.gif
From Oregon!

Did you get straight runs? it seems you think there are a lot of little roos. I have two Speckled Sussex and at 1/12 weeks their comb is much smaller than the one in your picture at that age, hmmm...

Quote:
Thanks!
The RIR, Assorted Bantam, and Assorted Pullet were gotten from TSC. So I could have made a good guess on what I'd have there...
lol.png

The others were purchased from individuals in the area who raise a bunch of chickens. The Silkies and Cochins were what they were selling, so no choice there, but the lady seemed genuine in not trying to sell us roosters.
The rest we picked out, with some assistance from the lady with the larger chicken breeding operation, and I think we may find out we did halfway decent there, fingers crossed.

Basically, we bought plenty because I used Murphy's law to determine there would be a decent chance I'd have too many roosters and sell some off/give away.

I'm hoping only 3 or 4 MAX turn out to be roosters, and that might still be too many.
tongue.png

But I'll prepare for "the worst" and deal with it accordingly!

Finally got the pictures loaded...but now even these pictures are already outdated! Haha.
In the Coop Design Section, look for "My 1st Southern Coop" to see more of the pictures and progress. I won't clog up this thread with coop pictures if I can help it!

DSC_0906.jpg

DSC_0911.jpg

I've gotten one window on the side framed in so far, and the rest of the flooring nailed in, but haven't taken pictures yet.

Here is the very beginning of the garden, a few weeks ago, just for the heck of it...
DSC_0907.jpg

DSC_0890.jpg

Last edited:
With as warm as it is in my area, I'm thinking if I get the house up within a week and a half or two (which I should) that I may try to test them out there. As it is, they don't spend much time under the brooder light, and when it is on, it isn't directly over them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom