Name that illness

onwingandhoof

Songster
Apr 17, 2020
I have a 4 year old old english hen. She was hand raised and has the love of all of us. However she is ill. At first I thought coccidiosis. She has all the symptoms, but the bloody stool. The Corid isn't working but she's still on it. She has a gray comb and wattles. No sneezing, no wheezing, no gurgling, no runny eyes. No drippy nose. She has a soft empty crop. Good breath. She's not egg bound. She's on Corid, a broad spectrum antibiotic and fluids. I have been tube feeding her Exact baby parrot food. What am I missing? She walks normal but slow and she's now too weak to stand. Vet took a fecal and will call back with results. She doesn't have a clue as well. The run is cleaned daily and I've worked hard to cover it with hardwire and bird netting but they get through anyway. Any help is appreciated.

I have a 4 year old old english hen. She was hand raised and has the love of all of us. However she is ill. At first I thought coccidiosis. She has all the symptoms, but the bloody stool. The Corid isn't working but she's still on it. She has a gray comb and wattles. No sneezing, no wheezing, no gurgling, no runny eyes. No drippy nose. She has a soft empty crop. Good breath. She's not egg bound. She's on Corid, a broad spectrum antibiotic and fluids. I have been tube feeding her Exact baby parrot food. What am I missing? She walks normal but slow and she's now too weak to stand. Vet took a fecal and will call back with results. She doesn't have a clue as well. The run is cleaned daily and I've worked hard to cover it with hardwire and bird netting but they get through anyway. Any help is appreciated.
Sorry about your hen.

Since your vet is calling back about the fecal, I would just wait to see what they say rather than us all taking guesses about what it might be. It only takes a few minutes to test for it. Please let us know though what they say.

Sorry about your hen.

Since your vet is calling back about the fecal, I would just wait to see what they say rather than us all taking guesses about what it might be. It only takes a few minutes to test for it. Please let us know though what they say.
I will. I'm desperate to help her.
20240502_091011.jpg

Your hen looks anemic to me.

Did you already check her coop for poultry mites? They suck the chickens' blood at night and not only can transmit ilnesses but also cause death within a few days.

Mite control is best done at night using a flash light or head lamp while inspecting the crevices and undersides of the roosts.

And when did you last deworm her?

Your hen looks anemic to me.

Did you already check her coop for poultry mites? They suck the chickens' blood at night and not only can transmit ilnesses but also cause death within a few days.

Mite control is best done at night using a flash light or head lamp while inspecting the crevices and undersides of the roosts.

And when did you last deworm her?
I just got a call from the vet and she's clear of parasites but we're still waiting for the giardia results. She's never been wormed since she's been house raised and lives inside with me. I have checked for mites and I see nothing. I check my outside girls as well and have only seen it on one rooster and he was treated. I know this is all a guessing game, but I am so desperate for an answer that will let her live

Attachments

• 20240502_184322.jpg
    20240502_184322.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 8
What's her diet? Have you ever wormed her?
Her diet is regular all feed. She's also supplemented with red lettuce, fruit, applesauce, eggs, salmon. I've never wormed her. Her vet called back and she's clear of worms and or parasites so we're now waiting on the giardia test to come back. All her symptoms tell me coccidiosis but she's not responding to the Corid. I'm tube feeding baby parrot food. Still using Corid and poultry cell as well. I just don't want to loose her.

How many hours daily does she spend outside in natural sunlight?

As an indoor bird she might be suffering from Vitamin D deficiency, the symptoms are among others paleness, leg weakness, rickets, decreased egg production, feather abnormalities etc.
Hello!!!
She actually spent a good amount of time outside in the front garden area. She was like a dog, in and out. She sunned on the deck, dust bathed in her corner and shredded my plants to her hearts content. I loved her. I took her to Davis to have a necropsy done. I have a preliminary report that found near nothing. I'll post it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508-180616_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240508-180616_Drive.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 5
I am very sorry you lost her. She was a cute little girl.
:hugs

Please, keep us posted on the results. Leucosis or other deseases of the blood come to mind but we'll just have to wait and see what the lab will be able to ascertain.

Back
Top Bottom