Mycoplasma, or unconnected issues?

marymasc

Chirping
Dec 17, 2021
Several months ago, some of my birds had what seemed to be colds (some coughing/sneezing, runny noses, etc.) so the whole flock was treated with a antibiotics and were all fine in about a week, except for two hens who had persistent sneezing and coughing. I figured the antibiotics just took a little longer for these birds, and the symptoms eventually went down. But now, one of the birds who had the persistent cough is limping, and is a little less active than usual. But no other current symptoms—the coughing and sneezing is gone. I have heard that Mycoplasma can cause pain in the joints due to swelling, which I do not see, nor do her legs feel hot, but no injury, bumblefoot, or mites are present. And the other hen who had the cough is now doing so again, as well as having raspy breathing. No other symptoms with her and she is acting normal. Another one of my hens now has a slightly swollen sinus on one side of her face, and sometimes gets foamy eyes. There is also an unpleasant smell from her nostril, but she has had that since she was only a few months old (she’s about a year and a half now). She isn’t coughing, sneezing, or acting unusual. The rest of the flock is acting fine, no apparent symptoms from any of them. If this is mycoplasma, the only way they would have gotten it is through me picking it up from a wild bird and inadvertently bringing it into their coop, as they were not outside at or around the time that they got sick and all new birds were quarantined for a month before being brought into this flock. So, my question is whether this could be mycoplasma, or if it’s several unconnected issues? If they are unconnected, how should I go about treating them? Thank you for reading and apologies for the long post.

A few years ago I was absolutely certain my birds had mycoplasma, I ended up getting them tested with Zoologix and it turned out they didn’t have it after all. Is getting them tested an option for you?

A few years ago I was absolutely certain my birds had mycoplasma, I ended up getting them tested with Zoologix and it turned out they didn’t have it after all. Is getting them tested an option for you?
I wrote to the person who did our NPIP testing to ask if it was offered by state. I’m waiting to hear back on that. I just looked up Zoologix and if I’m unable to do it through the state then I may do it that way. Thank you for mentioning them, it looks like a good site. When your birds were negative for it, was there something else that was causing symptoms instead?

Back
Top Bottom