Round worm infection, maybe more?

Beanthere

In the Brooder
May 28, 2021
Hey,
So my year old Hen started acting sick, she was walking funny, dragging a wing, started breathing with gargling and the occasional cough. She then had a giant round worm in her poop. We treated her with ivermectin orally (and the flock). Her behavior has greatly improved, no more cough or breathing issues, and she’s eating and drinking better. But her right wing is useless. Like she drags it can’t flap it. I’d like to put her back with the flock cause she’s Ancy but I don’t know what’s going on with her wing? Any ideas?

Hey,
So my year old Hen started acting sick, she was walking funny, dragging a wing, started breathing with gargling and the occasional cough. She then had a giant round worm in her poop. We treated her with ivermectin orally (and the flock). Her behavior has greatly improved, no more cough or breathing issues, and she’s eating and drinking better. But her right wing is useless. Like she drags it can’t flap it. I’d like to put her back with the flock cause she’s Ancy but I don’t know what’s going on with her wing? Any ideas?
Some extra vitamin b complex tablets plus poultry vitamins in their water might help to substitute what the worms deprived her of.

Could she have injured her wing?
Do you keep a rooster with your hens?

Last edited:
Some extra vitamin b complex tablets plus poultry vitamins in their water might help to substitute what the worms deprived her of.

Could she have injured her wing?
Do you keep a rooster with your hens?
She could have injured her wing, she was found off her roost on night. But she doesn’t flinch when I grab or move her wing

She could have injured her wing, she was found off her roost on night. But she doesn’t flinch when I grab or move her wing
In this case it will be better to not let her sleep on the roost to prevent another fall.

When gently examining her wing, do you feel anything broken, maybe some bone sticking out underneath the plumage or areas more hot than on her other healthy wing? Try to compare both her wings, it might even have gotten dislocated from the fall.

Back
Top Bottom