my goose just lost her mate :(

So sorry to hear. We had the same thing happen about 1.5 months ago when our Gander was killed by a neighbor's dog. She was all alone and depressed. We got another Gander except he is a different breed. Same size though. She is a white embden & he is a white Chinese Gander but guess what??? They are mating now!!! We never thought she would. They cling to eachother so we are happy. The Gander had lost his female as well but they are now mated. I would suggest do get another Gander for her. She will then have someone else with her. It may take a few days for her to stick with him but she will. We are so glad that we did.

Our goose, well...she stays at our pond in the summer and for 7 or 8 years she & the same gander raised their families on our pond. They were amazing and highly admired by everyone. However, something caught the gander in 2015. The goose raised their goslings by herself and left with them in September. The following late February, she and her goslings from 2015 returned. She did not have a mate. I read that their eggs are fertile for 2 years. She hatched out 3 babies in 2016 that were from her gander. Something caught one of those babies, so for the remainder of the summer that goose was extremely protective of the 2 goslings. They spent most of their time under her wings. When they got too large to do that, they got on top of her when they sensed danger. She managed to raise those 2 by herself and left with them in September, 2016.

This late Feb, 3 geese showed up. We assumed it was the goose and her 2 babies from 2016; however, we think now that they are the 2 goslings, and one of them has a mate. The original goose is not with them. The mated pair are building a nest and stay together. The other goose is still with them but is not really accepted by the other 2. I am very confident at this point that the loner is a sibling of one in the mated pair.

My heart breaks over the gander we lost and now over his mate. Those 2 were awesome parents that could teach much to humans. My heart also aches for the loner that wants to associate with the mated pair. That goose won't leave our area by itself. It follows the other 2 and just respects their boundaries. Wish I had a goose counselor to help them accept each other. Hope they know there is more safety in groups.

Back
Top Bottom