My Ducklings Are So Scared Of Me!!!

Ahygre21

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
About two weeks ago I got baby Pekin ducklings from Tractor Supply Co. I have had baby ducklings before, but these two I got are not the same as the others. They are terrified of me. They don’t like it when I hold them, only when I rub their backs. How long will it take for them to adjust to me? Any tips/advice on how to “bond” more with them? And when can I let them swim- in shallow supervised water of course.

Thank you!

Speaking more from my experience with chickens, but I think it applies here too. Familiarity brings less panic. Make yourself a very common sight around them, talk to them, even sing to them if you want. The more you just exist as a thing that is part of their world, the more they will get comfortable with you.

Also, working on "degrees" of holding might be a good strategy. One can "hold" a bird by simply resting their hand on the brooder floor while touching a bird. Do this enough and that might slowly become a bird resting slightly on your hand or even a bird being picked up comfortably.

I'd say give it a week or two just making yourself something that they commonly see, hear and touch and you will likely see an improvement.

Ducks are prey animals, so when they see you, large and looming, they panic.
Do reach down for them a lot? Trying putting their brooder on something like a table so they can see you coming and you aren't just the hand of fate coming to carry them off.
Try just sitting with them.
They can swim as soon as they're dry from hatching, there's no need to wait this long

I have had new ducklings for the last ten days. They are happy to snuggle on my lap when it's still and quiet, and they will fall asleep. But they hate when we lean over them or stick our hands in their brooder and try to catch them. They squeal and run - I think it's just their natural sense to be afraid of predators that attack from above. I just try to move very slowly, keep things calm and quiet. In a little bit you can offer treats, like peas and mealworms, and you will win them over. Of course they'll never be pets like dogs and cats, but you can build trust over time and that is super satisfying!

And you can absolutely let them swim now. I put mine in the bathtub a couple times a day in lukewarm water, just press a towel on them to dry them afterwards and let them preen in a warm spot.

Ducklings are a lot less trusting then chickens. I bought four ducklings online and truth be told, they never did get used to me. Not to say it isn't possible to not get ducklings to bond with you. I was new to ducklings and didn't have any help. My second round was a lot better. They were very snuggly and would follow me everywhere. Here are a few tips:

1. Simply being around them. Sitting and talking to them so they get used to you.
2. Set you hand on the opposite side of the brooder. Let them see it but don't bring it close to them.
3. Have them associate your hand with something good. Big giant hands coming to grab them is very freighting. Food is the best way to win any animals heart. Put some of their food in your hand and let them come to you.

Baby ducklings can swim hours after they hatch. Be careful when letting them swim. The mother duck would normally rub oils onto the ducklings but without these oils they are not waterproof. Let them have supervised swim time for about an hour or so. make sure to dry them off when you get done so they don't get chilled.

I only let mine swim for 15-20 minutes, to make sure they don't get too tired. You can watch yours closely and see what you think is best for them.

Back
Top Bottom