My dog just pulled out roosters tail feathers & now there is blood!!!

parkerpeeps7

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Georgia
Hi,
my dog pulled or bit out the long feathers of my 3 month old rooster's tail & now there is blood. His bottom is still there & appears to have no damage but where the feathers are broken there is blood coming out! Will he be ok??? He went right back to eating after I inspected him & is breathing normally but I'm still worried. This is my 1st attack.

Thanks so much!!
-Amy

My dog did the same thing to my roo, and also tore out tones of back feathers too.We gave him a bath and put him in a crate. We have been giving him lots of scrambled eggs to help grow back those feathers.
smile.png
Do you have styptic powder to stop the bleeding, flour or cornstarch also work too.

Last edited:
Here is our roo after the attack, we had put some iodine on his back since he had some bad wounds. I am goon go get a pic of what he looks like now
smile.png

81936_sam_0941.jpg

Last edited:
Did those feathers stop bleeding?? Those could be blood feathers and may keep bleeding, unless the feather is plucked cleanly out....
Since i'm not there i cant tell...
When my dog got my rooster and plucked him.. (twice now.. *sigh*) i just brought him inside and got him warm and made him all kinds of good food and sprayed him with blu-kote and hes survived both times...
Poor little guy... dumb dog.
hmm.png
(well dumb dog owner.. i.e. ME..)

Omgosh, your poor roo! It looks bad. My attack was nothing compared to that. Glad he is healing.
smile.png

There is no blood dripping from the broken shafts. Any that were broken I packed them all & there were some that were plucked completely out. I guess he got lucky.

Quote:
I HATE that dogs love chickens so much! Sorry that happened twice. Dogs can be crafty little suckers. Ours are in a temp coop in the backyard fence with the dogs with only 2 layers of chicken wire separating them. They don't really mess with them except the one who got our roo sometimes runs up towards to watch em' run to the back of coop. My daughter was in the coop petting them & I think my dog got too excited cuz she kept jumping around & just decided to take a grab. We are working on a much bigger & safer coop & now this has pushed me that much harder towards getting the new one done ASAP!

Back
Top Bottom