My baby chicks got very wet!

Yes I'm almost positive my baby chicks didn't almost drown because I helped a duck hatch. I'm no professional but I'm pretty sure lol.

I know this is a week old post but just for general info. I tried marbles and pebbles in the chick waterer when I use a brooder, now is use a ring of wire mesh to prevent them from drowning. They can drink without falling into the water. I also modified the feed container so they can reach the bottom of the container. Here is a picture of the waterer with the wire ring.

Thank you! That's a really good idea. I Will try the wire, I'm not using the waterer anymore and they are constantly dumping the little containers I put in there and now I'm cleaning the box non stop! I ended up loosing 2 of the chicks that got wet a few days after. I think they must have gotten sick or water went in the wrong place. Its so weird because the chick that was laying in the waterer lived. I will modify my waterer so I can use it again like you did because they are making a big mess with the dishes I have now! They are getting bigger but now I'm scared of the waterer lol!!

I think you did everything right, now only time will tell. The only other thing you could do to aid in recovery is put her in a small box with one chick in the same area close to the heat. Make sure they have water and food, but, make sure they cannot get wet again. One good way to prevent chicks from getting wet is place the waterer on top of a two by four and don't leave any wood sticking out from beneath the wartere. The chicks will have to stand and extend their neck to drink and they will not get high enough to slip and fall inside the warterer. Good luck!

My chicks is in the brooding pen as of the moment, they are 2 weeks old now, they are well lighted to warm them up but what I observe is they look wet, I am thinking if they are sweating or what, is this normal? They are very lively and healthy.

This happen to my chicks too! It like they all decided to go swimming in their water dish! I had to blow dry them all. I couldn't believe how soaked they got! I put glass rocks in the bottom and have no issues since. Crazy chicks!

Back
Top Bottom