I ordered from them this year. Got around 20 pullets. They were packaged well, arrived in Oregon quickly, and customer service was very responsive. The hard to ID breeds were marked with leg bands. All of the chicks ended up actually being pullets. Lost one chick a couple days after they arrived, didn't show any symptoms. The rest are healthy, friendly and are in my grow out pen waiting to integrate with my other birds.

I'd order from them again.

I also ordered 10 from Cackle Hatchery around the same time. I had a similar experience, but one "pullet" has turned out to be a roo. No deaths. I'd order from them again as well.

I think I lucked out with healthy birds (good weather when shipping) and only one death from McMurray and one roo from Cackle are pretty good odds.

I had two large orders (30+ and 50+ birds) from McMurray in 2020, one in June and one in August. Ordered for myself and others. Shipped all the way to Hawaii. Minimal losses. Healthy birds. Only 2 out of all of these ended up as roosters.
The polish and wyandottes that I kept were excellent examples of their breeds. Other breeds were as well. Great customer service. 😊

How’s was your experience with ordering fowl from McMurray? How was their customer service? We’re there any DOAs? How are the birds that you ordered doing now? How is there egg laying? Would you recommend/buy again? Anything else you’d like to add! I’m looking for reviews on all fowl, not just ducks!
My experience(s) was/were great! I have ordered from them twice and have been super happy both times! Mine are pretty true to the breed (with laying) and some even lay more than they are supposed to! I have hens that are just over 1 year now and chicks that are now 3 months. My hens are SO clingy and sweet. And my chicks are like 10 times worse (better because they are actually even friendlier). They will just jump on us and love to be snuggled and held. They are (almost all) very calm and mellow. I would totally recommend!

Last edited:
We ordered all males last year. 8 breeds. All survived and grew well. One breed had mild wry tail, which is a negative trait that will be passed on to other generations. If not breeding, no worries as it does not impact health. A couple of other breeds were not to standard when reviewing APA book of standards, but not surprising, as that is typical of hatcheries. And by not to standard I’m referring to differences that are not something most would notice unless looking for them: points on the comb, comb set on head, color of under feathers, etc.

we still have one male, now 14 months old. He is a good rooster, good to the girls, good temperament with us (which means he stays away from us and is not aggressive, he focuses on the flock). He appears to be a nice representation of the breed when looking at APA standards, although not sure if he meets weight as I have not weighed him.

I ordered from them. Ended up with white Orpington, buff laced polish, silver Leghorn and brown leghorns.

Lost a polish at about 5 weeks for an unknown reason.

A silver Leghorn had something wrong with her foot that resulted in broken toes when she got bigger and heavier

Also got the belifielder (sp?) Mystery chick. He was nice, but I didn't keep him

Back
Top Bottom