Multiple Chickens Dying for no Reason

montana74

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2017
Bitterroot Valley, Montana
Hi there. I have lost 5 chickens in 3 days to an unknown thing, and am about to lose a young Turkey as well.

The only birds affected are my 5 month olds; my adult chickens aren't sick. They're on layer feed and BOSS (turkeys are on meat bird feed and separated from chickens by a fence). The Turkey is also about 5 months old.

We put CORID in their water but have lost 2 since then. There is no blood, worms, or other signs of problems. They simply get lethargic and die within 24 hours. We have over 50 birds so it's near impossible to know who is pooping what. Every morning and/or night we go out there to find another young chicken either dead or dying.

I also note that all the chickens who have died (and the turkey who is about to) came from a hatchery as opposed to being hatched here. They're Easter Eggers and Sapphire Gems. The rest of my flock is mostly purebreds of various breeds. However, we've had the young ones since they were a few days old so I'm not sure what's going on. Every chick we bred here or bought from a nearby farm is doing fine.

They are on regular pine chip bedding, no straw, no visible bugs or any other obvious issue.

I am at my wit's end here. After several years with chickens this is the first time we've had anything like this happen. It is systematically wiping out next year's layers. What else can I try?

Thank you. Cocci was my first thought but when we kept losing them I thought maybe I was wrong. It literally came out of nowhere this week. I even thought maybe blackhead disease but I don't think that's it either. I'll keep doing the corid and electrolytes and hope for the best.

Make sure that the treated water is the only water available to them, if there is corid free water available then they will drink that instead and not get the proper dosage. I have had chicks die after I started treatment too. I treated my birds with 2 tsp. of corid per gallon for a week and then lowered it to one tsp. for a week and then gave them Electrolytes for a week.

I just lost a young egg layer and an 8 week old chick. Their deaths occurred pretty quick from the time I recognized stress. Each the smaller and more runtish of my 2 mini flocks, both experience additional stress because of and both sponsored by a stronger hen from time of arrival to our home. I keep a pretty clean outfit, am very hands on and interested and enjoy my chickens. I live in a warm and humid climate, have been watering down my run plenty this summer due to heat stress and may have confused the signs with my young hen. She had only laid about 4 times when a dominant went broody and chased he from the nesting boxes. She got confused and stress and died within a few days. Been dosing my flocks with Corid as a young 8 week old may have blood in poop. Hard to tell w/o test.

Back
Top Bottom