mews

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2023
Hello all,

I've been stressing over this egg, as I'm a new hatcher and had became concerned as I noticed more bruising has started to appear on the membrane end of the egg.

I'm growing nervous, as the duck is positioned awkwardly, and I'm unaware if he/she could be malpositioned and is trying to pip.

I am desperate for advice, and need to know if I should act now, as it has been a little over 24 hours since it has had any movement inside.

Here are pictures for an idea of what I'm talking about.

20230411_224134.jpg
20230411_224054.jpg

20230411_224104.jpg

Was any internal pipping going on when you last candled? A pencil-sized safety hole might be in order.
I honestly don't know, as it very well could've. The last time I felt movement in the egg or seen any was two nights ago, when there was a jolt movement inside.

I am nervous to attempt this safety hole. Is there a certain location? And a safe way to try it? Someone earlier said to attempt the safety hole where one of the freshest bruises were, but I didn't know if that was safe, as the freshest bruise at the time was where the pointed side of the egg is.

I honestly don't know, as it very well could've. The last time I felt movement in the egg or seen any was two nights ago, when there was a jolt movement inside.

I am nervous to attempt this safety hole. Is there a certain location? And a safe way to try it? Someone earlier said to attempt the safety hole where one of the freshest bruises were, but I didn't know if that was safe, as the freshest bruise at the time was where the pointed side of the egg is.
I wouldn't attempt it at the bottom of the egg, the safest place to attempt it is by candling over the air cell and seeing if you notice the bill, and if so, take a screw or something similar and very carefully twist it with slight pressure just above the bill. He could still be absorbing his yolk sac, but as he makes an attempt to pip he hits a blood vessel because he is malpositioned. After you are sure he's finished absorbing you may need to slowly peel back just a little bit of the egg, only a dime sized hole at that point.

@New duck mommy 2021 you've helped tons of people with this.

Also this article is a lifesaver (quite literally)
Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

I wouldn't attempt it at the bottom of the egg, the safest place to attempt it is by candling over the air cell and seeing if you notice the bill, and if so, take a screw or something similar and very carefully twist it with slight pressure just above the bill. He could still be absorbing his yolk sac, but as he makes an attempt to pip he hits a blood vessel because he is malpositioned. After you are sure he's finished absorbing you may need to slowly peel back just a little bit of the egg, only a dime sized hole at that point.

@New duck mommy 2021 you've helped tons of people with this.

Also this article is a lifesaver (quite literally)
Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry
Thank you for the advice and article, I will definitely read through it.

I'm unsure what I see as I candle, because I noticed the shape of the inside is oddly shaped. When I try to see if I find a bill, I see shadowing, but not in a bill shape.

If bruises are showing up outside the air cell then baby isn’t able to make air cell and needs help
I make a tiny hole in the centre of the bruise
I will take my candler and shine it over the bruise area. Usually able to see veins so I don’t hit it
Without help the baby will not be able to get air and will pass away
This was the last egg I had that got a bruise in the wrong end
Once you make the little hole no bigger then sharpened pencil end leave the egg for 24 hours acting like it’s the air cell time

Attachments

• 837D2F05-F2C0-4FF4-82CD-B9AE785998F3.jpeg
    837D2F05-F2C0-4FF4-82CD-B9AE785998F3.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 11
If bruises are showing up outside the air cell then baby isn’t able to make air cell and needs help
I make a tiny hole in the centre of the bruise
I will take my candler and shine it over the bruise area. Usually able to see veins so I don’t hit it
Without help the baby will not be able to get air and will pass away
This was the last egg I had that got a bruise in the wrong end
Once you make the little hole no bigger then sharpened pencil end leave the egg for 24 hours acting like it’s the air cell time
Thank you!

Just to make sure I have this right, I'm making the safety hole just around one of the bruises that are on the air ducts side?

There's very awkward shadowing within this egg, so I'm unsure if they are internally pipped or not. But as more bruises appear within the past few hours, I'm getting more concerned.

Thank you!

Just to make sure I have this right, I'm making the safety hole just around one of the bruises that are on the air ducts side?

There's very awkward shadowing within this egg, so I'm unsure if they are internally pipped or not. But as more bruises appear within the past few hours, I'm getting more concerned.
Where are the bruises ?
Could you take more pics ?
If baby is in the air cell there isn’t usually bruises but sometimes a yellow you can see when candling
I mark my air cells so I know if the bruise is inside or outside of it
You can video candling it and post ti YouTube then share the link here

Where are the bruises ?
Could you take more pics ?
If baby is in the air cell there isn’t usually bruises but sometimes a yellow you can see when candling
I mark my air cells so I know if the bruise is inside or outside of it
You can video candling it and post ti YouTube then share the link here
I can provide some photos now, and if need be, I'll upload a video to YouTube and share the link. I just candled, as well as tried showing the bruises.

Where the air duct is, there is some light unscented white candle wax, as 6 days ago a dent had happened whilst candling. The bruising all seems to be where the yellow area is, especially at a large bruise at the point end of the egg.
20230412_012254.jpg
20230412_012307.jpg
20230412_012323.jpg
20230412_012416.jpg

Attachments

• 20230412_012458.jpg
    20230412_012458.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 3
I can provide some photos now, and if need be, I'll upload a video to YouTube and share the link. I just candled, as well as tried showing the bruises.

Where the air duct is, there is some light unscented white candle wax, as 6 days ago a dent had happened whilst candling. The bruising all seems to be where the yellow area is, especially at a large bruise at the point end of the egg.
View attachment 3464394View attachment 3464395View attachment 3464396View attachment 3464397
The yellow around the air cell I see often when mine are internal
Remove that candle wax as baby may try to hit there and not be able to get through
I put it on any cracks as well but also remove it when they are trying to hatch if it’s where they would need to get out
I just scratch it off with my finger nail
Is there any bruising to the egg shell itself without candling outside the air cell area ?
Have you seen any beak inside that air cell ? If so has it been past 24 hours

Back
Top Bottom