Missing crest feathers

KatieEberhart

Chirping
Apr 17, 2019
Duncansville, PA
I’ve noticed just today that my Polish chick (8weeks) has crest feathers missing (tiny little blood spots) and a some gunk around her eye. As far as I could tell this just happened today. She is a very timid chick and definitely low on the pecking order. She had a very slow start with a vitamin deficiency / crooked toes / very lethargic etc... but we got her back to where she was acting much more like the other chicks and has been seemingly healthy since. I did notice she was sleeping in the run by herself today while all the others (10 chickens, mixed breeds, also 8 weeks) were all in a big pile. She has always seemed to be a bit of a “loner” so I didn’t think anything of it. Should I be worried that someone is really picking on her? Or is this normal pecking order establishment? She’s the only crested bird in the flock. Also, I allowed them to free range out into our yard/woods (4 acres) so it’s not like they’re stuck in close quarters. She prefers to stay in the run, and not venture out much. New to chicken ownership, so I am very clueless as to what is “normal” yet!

Attachments

• C6782FBC-8BA1-4EC7-9701-31D10FDBB153.jpeg
    C6782FBC-8BA1-4EC7-9701-31D10FDBB153.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 38
You shouldn't keep a single polish with other breeds. They are best kept by themselves or in groups in a mixed flock. The crest is a novelty when only one bird has one. Others will peck and possibly kill a single polish. They also are prone to odd behaviors, which is another reason to not keep them in a mixed flock.

I would separate it, but within sight of the others. You will need to figure out what to do at this point. Her best chance is to be separated and kept with other gentle crested birds like polish or silkies.

You shouldn't keep a single polish with other breeds. They are best kept by themselves or in groups in a mixed flock. The crest is a novelty when only one bird has one. Others will peck and possibly kill a single polish. They also are prone to odd behaviors, which is another reason to not keep them in a mixed flock.

I would separate it, but within sight of the others. You will need to figure out what to do at this point. Her best chance is to be separated and kept with other gentle crested birds like polish or silkies.
Thank you for the response. I did originally have another polish but she didn’t make it past day 2 I was considering adding some silkies to my flock next spring, but maybe I should reassess my timeline on that to give her some crested friends.

I forgot to add that I have 3 crested cream legbars. Their crests are obviously not as pronounced, but there none the less. Do you think that changes the situation at all?

I’ve noticed just today that my Polish chick (8weeks) has crest feathers missing (tiny little blood spots) and a some gunk around her eye. As far as I could tell this just happened today. She is a very timid chick and definitely low on the pecking order. She had a very slow start with a vitamin deficiency / crooked toes / very lethargic etc... but we got her back to where she was acting much more like the other chicks and has been seemingly healthy since. I did notice she was sleeping in the run by herself today while all the others (10 chickens, mixed breeds, also 8 weeks) were all in a big pile. She has always seemed to be a bit of a “loner” so I didn’t think anything of it. Should I be worried that someone is really picking on her? Or is this normal pecking order establishment? She’s the only crested bird in the flock. Also, I allowed them to free range out into our yard/woods (4 acres) so it’s not like they’re stuck in close quarters. She prefers to stay in the run, and not venture out much. New to chicken ownership, so I am very clueless as to what is “normal” yet!
Beautiful bird, but your SHE looks more like a HE, going by the crest. A female will have a nice round puff, a male will look like he stuck his toe in a light socket.
B9AC3007-8E49-4A15-A351-54949A4EAB0E.jpeg

Female front, male back. These are adults (not mine). Yours is still young though!!

Beautiful bird, but your SHE looks more like a HE, going by the crest. A female will have a nice round puff, a male will look like he stuck his toe in a light socket.
View attachment 1778498
Female front, male back. These are adults (not mine). Yours is still young though!!
I actually think that side angle is a little deceiving. She does have a fairly rounded “poofy” crest but I suppose she could possibly be a he!

Attachments

• CFD3DBA8-61D6-455E-9C38-E61E045B5358.jpeg
    CFD3DBA8-61D6-455E-9C38-E61E045B5358.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Laced varieties have a different crest than the white crested. Laced varieties have a wilder crest. I see nothing rooster.

You could try bluekote on the crest, put her down while it's wet so any curious pecking gets a mouth full of yuck. You can also try trimming the crest feathers a bit so she can see others coming. You definitely don't want others to see skin. As new feathers come in the crest often falls open which can cause problems.

Many years ago I had a polish rooster get his skull pecked open, so I have seen what other birds will do to a polish.

Legbars don't have an actual crest that obstructs vision like polish has, so those wouldn't have the same problems as polish.

Laced varieties have a different crest than the white crested. Laced varieties have a wilder crest. I see nothing rooster.

You could try bluekote on the crest, put her down while it's wet so any curious pecking gets a mouth full of yuck. You can also try trimming the crest feathers a bit so she can see others coming. You definitely don't want others to see skin. As new feathers come in the crest often falls open which can cause problems.

Many years ago I had a polish rooster get his skull pecked open, so I have seen what other birds will do to a polish.

Legbars don't have an actual crest that obstructs vision like polish has, so those wouldn't have the same problems as polish.
Thank you again for the info. I’m going to get some bluekote today. What a horrible experience for your rooster! I’m really hoping this doesn’t come to having to separate her. She gets very stressed when she’s removed from the flock.

Thank you again for the info. I’m going to get some bluekote today. What a horrible experience for your rooster! I’m really hoping this doesn’t come to having to separate her. She gets very stressed when she’s removed from the flock.
You can keep her close, just not in the same place. She could be in a wire dog crate in with them, just separate.

My silver laced has a nice round puffy crest, just as puffy as my white crest black. What other things do you look for in a male?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom