Minanora has chooks

Minanora

The Cuckoo Lady
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2023
Atascadero, CA
Good evening everyone. My name is Minanora. Pronounced "Me-nah Nora" or "Mi na no ra" I get a lot of "men a nora". Lol.

Anyways, to the basics!
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've been around chickens my whole life; however this is my first time keeping hens myself. (33 years young)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I was supposed to only have 4.... I have 6! Chicken math.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have "Sapphire Olive Eggers", Yeah, only one "breed" but chicken math will fix that soon enough.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Getting nutritious eggs, watching my chook-chooks do chook things in the yard. Watching my son play with the girls and sing to them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I wakesurf. I keep tropical fish and shrimps with a few nice tanks in the house. I'm a Jill of all trades and I keep a pretty decent garden and mini orchard.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We have two doxies, a handful of fruit trees and a decent vegetable garden. I am into food preservation. I also exercise daily so I can enjoy my love of craft beer. We're home brewers!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
My best friend showed me this site years ago... I have watched her chickens a lot when she goes on vacation.......well, I fell in love with the idea of having my own chooks thanks to her and I can finally participate in the community.

Looking forward to knowing you all. I'm sorry to say though, I don't use my computer much at all, and this is one of two "social media" sites I have an account on. I'm too preoccupied with "irl" stuff. So forgive my slow responses in most instances.

Thank you so much,
Mina

Nice intro, and congrats on getting: 1) your own chickens, and 2) getting chicken math out of the way ASAP. That's how I did it, too. Went to buy three from a 4-H'er and came home with 4. You're right, it doesn't seem like much at first, but then ...

I have several of the Czech breeds, but this spring got my first Sapphire Olive Egger. I'm curious why you chose that breed first?

No need to apologize for living your life in the real world instead of online. Sounds good to me, like you already have plenty of cool stuff going on.

Welcome to BYC, and best wishes with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom