Meyer Hatchery: A Raise A long (Black & Blue Copper Marans, Cuckoo Marans, Easter Egger and Olive Eggers Galore)

I bought 3 BCM from a Meyers on March 25th, one seems to have a lot of white on the chest…. Hoping that gets pruned out when new feathers come in but I’m curious what did your BCMs look like at 3 weeks and what do they look like now?
The one pullet standing on the Home Depot bucket all alone is a cuckoo marans right? Any help is appreciated thank you
Here is the sus BCM…. Supposed to be a pullet…. Can BCM have a beak that’s not all black and still meet SOP?

I have 3 additional BCM from a private breeder that are a year old and I don’t remember them having so much white. Here is my BCM roo Harry, just for fun
Wrath is a wealth of knowledge here too.

It is not uncommon for the BCM's to have some white feathering under 10 weeks of age. As their primary feathers come in they will shed the white generally. I had two that had white wing and facial feathers for a bit like around 8-9 weeks they shed. This was last week and they are nearly 11 weeks old now :).

Yes the bucket queen is the cuckoo named Fudge. She has a twin that got the darker gene that looks like a little hawk lol.

Mine also had white little rumps that fell out around 4-5 weeks so that might be what's left on them as their feathers come in for you.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• CHICKEN1.jpg
    CHICKEN1.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 11
Wrath is a wealth of knowledge here too.

It is not uncommon for the BCM's to have some white feathering under 10 weeks of age. As their primary feathers come in they will shed the white generally. I had two that had white wing and facial feathers for a bit like around 8-9 weeks they shed. This was last week and they are nearly 11 weeks old now :).

Yes the bucket queen is the cuckoo named Fudge. She has a twin that got the darker gene that looks like a little hawk lol.

Mine also had white little rumps that fell out around 4-5 weeks so that might be what's left on them as their feathers come in for you.

Hope this helps!
Well thank you..👍
And you are correct, I've been told white generally is not to be a concern until after their approximate 18 month molt. Most usually lose the white feathers much quicker tho.

Well thank you..👍
And you are correct, I've been told white generally is not to be a concern until after their approximate 18 month molt. Most usually lose the white feathers much quicker tho.
Yeah generally the SOP you aren't going to see until their first full molt at that 18 months mark for feather coloring. I've been fortunate with my batch of ladies from Meyer's. Even the Blue Copper Marans are beautiful.

I'll try to get a picture of my rooster that's better but he is BEAUTIFUL! I don't want to sit here and toot my horn as anything can happen in a year, but hopefully he will be close to the SOP and I can breed to get it better :).

Your white one is adorable! Especially in the second pic
There is two twin white ones that are white EE's they are adorable and the personalities of the coop.

Yeah generally the SOP you aren't going to see until their first full molt at that 18 months mark for feather coloring. I've been fortunate with my batch of ladies from Meyer's. Even the Blue Copper Marans are beautiful.

I'll try to get a picture of my rooster that's better but he is BEAUTIFUL! I don't want to sit here and toot my horn as anything can happen in a year, but hopefully he will be close to the SOP and I can breed to get it better :).

Toot away !! 🤣

Hello!
I'm new here, with three 3 week old BCMs & three 2.5 week old E.E.s (so far). My BCMs are only about d
four days older than the others, but they're noticably bigger, Way more inquisitive, and a bit pushy! My E.E.s are sweet and gentle (except one- Chicken Little is a complete spazz and no amount of holding/handling/loving on her has changed that thus far, but I'm still trying).
I've been using a pack n play with the bottom covered by plywood and a thick layer of pine shavings. One corner has their brooder plate, the opposite end has their food and water. One of my Marans saw my little Yorkie through the mesh wall and went after him, clawing her way up the side wall and flapping to keep herself going, until she got almost 3/4 of the way up. Thankfully, she fluttered back to the top of the brooder and hasn't done this, since.
The dog is fascinated (from a distance!), but terrified of the Marans. They keep pecking when they see him through the mesh. Is this normal behavior for BCMs?

Hello!
I'm new here, with three 3 week old BCMs & three 2.5 week old E.E.s (so far). My BCMs are only about d
four days older than the others, but they're noticably bigger, Way more inquisitive, and a bit pushy! My E.E.s are sweet and gentle (except one- Chicken Little is a complete spazz and no amount of holding/handling/loving on her has changed that thus far, but I'm still trying).
I've been using a pack n play with the bottom covered by plywood and a thick layer of pine shavings. One corner has their brooder plate, the opposite end has their food and water. One of my Marans saw my little Yorkie through the mesh wall and went after him, clawing her way up the side wall and flapping to keep herself going, until she got almost 3/4 of the way up. Thankfully, she fluttered back to the top of the brooder and hasn't done this, since.
The dog is fascinated (from a distance!), but terrified of the Marans. They keep pecking when they see him through the mesh. Is this normal behavior for BCMs?
Congrats on the BCMs! As far as size Marans as a breed are large breed as EE's typically females range from 5-6 lbs, marans can be 7+. As far as dogs go birds at all ages are going to be weary of new objects/animals. I would be very careful with a dog that is not accustomed to small birds as they are very docile at even 3/4 weeks old, and the smallest grab/bite can unfortunately lead to their demise.

Generally I have in the past brought my dogs around my chickens at all ages to teach positive reinforcement that the birds are part of are pack and the birds generally get accustomed to them over time. I keep two pit bulls and a heeler outside with them and when I was first adjusting them both the heeler would get to close to try and herd them, and the chickens would correct him if he got to close for comfort.

Hope this helps!

Also just a note the ladies are almost ready to start laying. How time flies! Looking forward to see what colors they lay and hoping I get some of the good genetics for the BCM's :D. Have a great Thursday! The rooster has been awesome so far and no real aggression, and he is very vocal/observant on danger (hawks/owls/coyotes) and corrals the girls to safety as needed.

Congrats on the BCMs! As far as size Marans as a breed are large breed as EE's typically females range from 5-6 lbs, marans can be 7+. As far as dogs go birds at all ages are going to be weary of new objects/animals. I would be very careful with a dog that is not accustomed to small birds as they are very docile at even 3/4 weeks old, and the smallest grab/bite can unfortunately lead to their demise.

Generally I have in the past brought my dogs around my chickens at all ages to teach positive reinforcement that the birds are part of are pack and the birds generally get accustomed to them over time. I keep two pit bulls and a heeler outside with them and when I was first adjusting them both the heeler would get to close to try and herd them, and the chickens would correct him if he got to close for comfort.

Hope this helps!
Yes thanks! One of our pups is a big, goofy 'vintage' Staffordshire Terrier, the other is a 3 year old Morkie. The Morkie (Pepper) was the one who's always got his nose to the pen side, but as soon as I bring a bird out, he drops & puts his belly in the air. He's the one who got pecked in the nose, and while he's fascinated to watch, safely on His side of the mesh, he much prefers to keep his distance when they're not inside it.
Our Big boy, Shadow, is interested, but not as much. I keep bringing them out for him to sniff and reminding him to "Leave it", and "Gentle", which he knows. This is Shadow..

Attachments

• PXL_20240514_003301793.jpg
    PXL_20240514_003301793.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240514_003226515~2.jpg
    PXL_20240514_003226515~2.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 3
Found out yesterday that our Marans are now able to fly out of their brooder! I had leftover chiffon from an old project I was finished with, so I clipped it over their enclosure. I figured it would be the most breathable cover I had currently available. Between that and the mesh along the sides of the pack n play they're in, they seem fine. I keep checking their thermometer, and have a fan in the room (to the side, not aimed At them), for airflow.

Attachments

• PXL_20240524_154409175~2.jpg
    PXL_20240524_154409175~2.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom