Mean Duckling!

Cowgrl4life

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
I have one duckling that is just...evil. I've handled him just as much as all my other birds, but yet every time I pick him up, you would think my hand was a duckling chew treat. He just sits there and bites and bites and bites as long as it takes for you to put him down... I dont put him down until it stops but I've had ducks before and this just seems like strange behavior... Are some breeds or ducks just more prone to this type of personality or is it literally just his personality? Im not sure what to do, if he keeps this up I may not be able to keep him. I cant have a duck that bites everyone. It may not hurt now but it might later!
barnie.gif

Is he biting or nibbling - one hurts - the other can be irritating, but it is a sign of duck love.

ETA:

Here is Peepers – he is nibbling on my leg

DSC_0893.jpg

DSC_0892.jpg

I am the only human he does this to – if I pick him up, he nibbles my fingers, arm, hair, jacket/shirt. He is just giving me duck love.

Last edited:
No... I think he's really BITING... He gets ahold of a piece of skin and twists back and forth like he's trying to rip my skin off.. He even looks malicious in the process. Its not love nibbles... Although I didnt know they did love nibbles lol. I went back and took a couple pictures so you can see what I mean... Sure in this instance I'm pretty much offering my hand but that was for the pictures sake lol. Usually he just chases after my hands until he gets ahold of some skin when I'm trying to pet him...
I've never had a duck act this way before, I'm doing with him what I've done with all my others but i've NEVER had one that was just so intent on biting!
53391_sany0363.jpg

53391_sany0364.jpg

Is it possible he just has a somewhat mean personality? Or do I need to hold him even more than I already do?

my ducks did that too as ducklings. to try to correct it you can grab their bills hold it closed and tell them NO! it worked on my ducks till my dad that it was funny to let them bite him and they do it to him and i now.
barnie.gif
but not any one else.

I read on another post that someone had an aggressive male duck and they just flipped him on his back and held him there to show dominance, maybe this would help?

Quote:
I did this too. I would gently hold their bill and say "no biting" until they calmed down. I would also lightly! pinch the back of their neck to show who was boss. I still have to pinch the feathers on the back of my pekin to get her to be less aggressive during snack time.

This is what I did with my Muscovies when they were little and still do it today with them as adults. The 1st thing, I would do is when they started doing that is pull my hand away, gently slap them on the bill and yell NO!! After a few times of doing that, some of them stopped doing it for good. However sometimes as adults or as ducklings they become a little bitey when I give them treats, I would hold the treats away and again gently slap them on the bill. But after I did that, I would gently but firmly grab their bill, close it shut and gently move it up and down and say NO!! Now they rarely bite me and hope this works for your 'Mean Duckling!'

Back
Top Bottom