May Hatch-a-long! ~ 6th Annual Cinco de Mayo Hatch-a-long! ~

I really don't know about eggs that have been heated. What day is it for you? I don't know that I would feed them to my dogs. On the other hand, they just dug up my garden and chewed up half a carseat, so maybe I would feed them rotten eggs.
lau.gif
It was day 10 I think? I cannot remember. They were very obviously infertile when I broke them open. They were perfectly clean eggs - the cleanest in the incubator as well and other than being flat from being warm looked just like any other eggs.

Thank you Very much!
Sorry I didn't see your posts till now! It doesn't really matter to me the set date or when other people are hatching I just wanted to hatch on Cinco de Mayo cause that was my very first hatch and this will likely be my last year my favorite chicken from that hatch 4 years ago has viable eggs :).

Is it too late to join? I set eggs on the 12th without realizing this was here. I could get a late hatcher that arrives on the 5th.
Eggs set, 38 chicken eggs.
Day 18 started 2 hours ago for me, so they are in Lockdown! I was down to 31 eggs with movement when I candled last night.
Not at all! Sorry I didn't see your post earlier!

Looking forward to seeing your little chicks coming out earlier than most of ours will be. I'll try to follow the thread more closely in the coming week as we get into Lockdown!

For all of you incubator hatchers, what would you recommend as the best bang for your buck? We are only looking for a rescue incubator. We had a scare and thought our broody was going to walk away after 7 days.

For all of you incubator hatchers, what would you recommend as the best bang for your buck? We are only looking for a rescue incubator. We had a scare and thought our broody was going to walk away after 7 days.

My first instinct would be to get an inexpensive one like a hova bator with back-up thermometer and hygrometer. Potential drawbacks would be that it takes longer to come up to temp and you'd probably want to add the turner so that you don't risk altering temp and humidity on manual turns. I'd also recommend a power inverter that you could plug into a cigarette lighter slot in your car if power went out (we have bad tornado seasons here in GA).

I am planning on getting a Brinsea Ovation 28 and using my Maxi II as a back-up or rescue bator. The advantages (to me) are that it comes up to temp rather rapidly and humidity is typically restored in 2 minutes after the lid is replaced. I also like that they sell the emergency plug in for your cigarette lighter slot if you have a problem. The disadvantage would be in power outages the thin plastic loses heat faster than a foam apparatus.

Hope this helps and I'm sure others will think of ideas. Ebay frequently has used units that might be a good buy.

:Hola!
This is what I get for only paying attention to my subscribed threads, I guess. I only just found out about you all from the May HAL thread.

My chicks are due on May 5. Black Australorps, Partridge Rocks and Barred Rocks of mine from Meyer hatchery. Three little silkies for the friend who's letting me borrow her incubator.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom