Marans x Barred rock question.

Bonniebooboo

Crowing
6 Years
May 27, 2017
Kansas
I just caught my 5 Mo old Black copper Marans breeding my 2 yr old Barred rock hen. If I were to hatch her eggs, would they be black sex links? Has anyone done that? Thanks in advance for your replies. I didn't really know where to post this question.

Yes. Black Copper Marans is unbarred. Your hen is barred.
This will produce black sex links....boy chicks will have a white head dot, girl chicks solid black.

You could have some red leakage with the girls. Boys will be barred as adults.

I've not done BCM to BR, but I have done Barnevelder rooster to CalGrey hen. Got lovely sexlinks, and mid tone eggs.

LofMc

Yes. Black Copper Marans is unbarred. Your hen is barred.
This will produce black sex links....boy chicks will have a white head dot, girl chicks solid black.

You could have some red leakage with the girls. Boys will be barred as adults.

I've not done BCM to BR, but I have done Barnevelder rooster to CalGrey hen. Got lovely sexlinks, and mid tone eggs.

LofMc
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it very much. I know the Black copper marans has red but since they are so black, I didn't know how that would impact the off spring. I have 2 EE barred pullets, their sire is a Barred Rock, they lay tan eggs. I was thinking of letting him with them and have little sex links that may likely lay darker brown eggs. Thank you again.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it very much. I know the Black copper marans has red but since they are so black, I didn't know how that would impact the off spring. I have 2 EE barred pullets, their sire is a Barred Rock, they lay tan eggs. I was thinking of letting him with them and have little sex links that may likely lay darker brown eggs. Thank you again.
That should work. Your EE pullets, if barred, should have one barring gene which will express in the boys only.

Problem with EE is that there are a lot of things hidden under the hood, so you might not get black chicks (females) and black with white head dot (males).

You could get wild type (chipmunk) with wisps of white streak on the boys heads with the girls a solid chipmunk. That makes it harder to sex. I've stared at a lot of white wisps trying to figure out if it is enough white to consider barring.

Only trying will tell you what you get this batch...which of course will be different with different batches due to the mixed genetics of the EE.

Tan with blue gene should produce a pretty light green.

Good luck on your project :D
LofMc

I do have 2 barred rock hens and 2 barred EE's. Their sire is a barred rock and dam is EE. True, who knows what all is under the hood on those and could get anything, but think I will try anyway with Maran roo and the BR Hens and Barred EE's.

Here is a picture of the EE. one has a pea comb and the
100_5876.JPG
other has straight comb. both lay tan eggs.

Back
Top Bottom