Mama heating pad question.

CaroChickenMom

Songster
May 11, 2020
New York City
My Coop
My Coop
I’m getting chicks delivered tomorrow and I’m trying to use the MHP this time instead of a lamp. Can I use a recycling bag instead of the press and seal for the towel on top? Thank you for taking the time to read and reply!

What's a recycling bag?

Reason the Press N Seal is recommended is 1) it protects the pad underneath and makes for easy clean up (just remove and toss) and 2) because it's made to stick very well to itself, you can really eliminate gaps that chicks can possibly get themselves into and get stuck in.

Alternatively, if you can tightly tape plastic around the pad, it'd have the same effect, just might be harder to remove at the end.

What's a recycling bag?

Reason the Press N Seal is recommended is 1) it protects the pad underneath and makes for easy clean up (just remove and toss) and 2) because it's made to stick very well to itself, you can really eliminate gaps that chicks can possibly get themselves into and get stuck in.

Alternatively, if you can tightly tape plastic around the pad, it'd have the same effect, just might be harder to remove at the end.
Thank you for your reply. With recycling bag I meant a transparent plastic bag...

I agree that the press n seal is worth it! I have had my chicks 2 1/2 weeks and change the press n seal on top at least once a day sometimes twice a day as they make a HUGE mess of it since they LOVE to sit on top of the MHP. I couldn't imagine having to untape a bag every single day to change it. the press n seal also sticks to everything but isn't like saran wrap that sticks to itself and you can't get it undone and is a pain to work with. The press n seal while it sticks to itself it also comes apart from itself pretty easy and I have a towel on the top of my MHP and it sticks to the towel as well so VERY easy to change.

Thanks for the replies! I thought I had press n seal and I was getting everything ready for the chicks to arrived, and realized I didn’t have the press and seal. And decided to use the plastic bag. But I have a day or more before they arrive so I have time to get it and replace it! It’s my second time getting chicks and my first using the MHP, thank you for the advice you all!

I still have the first roll of Press N Seal I bought for my MHP - it'll just stay in the kitchen forever until I get yet another batch of chicks. :)
how often do you change yours? also am I remembering the right person and you are the one with the cave looking one with Hay over it?

mine is gross after a couple hours so I feel I don't change it enough doing it once a day so sometimes I do twice but would be nice if I didn't have to do it that much. LOL

Used press and seal once, it was a PITA.
I cover top with cardboard, piece of any plastic between cardboard and pad.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/
cover-image

Back
Top Bottom