Mama heating pad cave for 20 chicks

Us too, in two brooders, we use the black ceramic bulbs.

I have the no-shut-off heating pad I bought to make one, then we discussed it and space constraints and chose not to. But I do like them!
I'm converting an old shed to a shelter for 2 outdoor cats .The heating pad will be put to good use in there.The only heat source it has is a black ceramic bulb.

I would put the heating pad in the category of an electric blanket you have to hug to stay warm where radiant heat allows the chicks to stay warm from a distance like a fireplace.
Clamp Lamps with guards and insulated porcelain sockets are safe to use with ceramic heat bulbs provided they're suspended properly with strong wire. Most hatcheries won't issue a refund if the chicks aren't provided heat lamps.To be safe its best to check their policies

Last edited:
I'd still recommend 2 - and that would apply to plates as well. Assuming that is their sole source of heat they all need to be able to comfortably fit under it and make contact with it to stay warm.

Generally heating lamps are better for larger groups because they can warm a wider area than a pad can cover.
Yes, I am making two. Thank you!!

It really doesn't need to be that hot, and if you had a heat bulb too they just chose the heat source they preferred. Doesn't mean the pad wouldn't have worked as the sole source of heat.
I wouldn't recommend a heating pad cave outdoors in zone 6 (un-insulated coop) I only used one as a back up heat source and my chicks weren't a bit impressed sorry

I wouldn't recommend a heating pad cave outdoors in zone 6 (un-insulated coop) I only used one as a back up heat source and my chicks weren't a bit impressed sorry
Use what works for you. I have used a heat lamp before and it burned so hot it melted off the red coating - not good! But I do still keep it in reserve in case of emergency. Since OP was specifically asking about pads (I have no experience with plates, for example) I answered about pads.

Use what works for you. I have used a heat lamp before and it burned so hot it melted off the red coating - not good! But I do still keep it in reserve in case of emergency. Since OP was specifically asking about pads (I have no experience with plates, for example) I answered about pads.
The heat pad I purchased provides constant heat and does not shut off automatically. Comes in ex large size too (Amazon)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-18 10.51.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-18 10.51.51 PM.png
    352 KB · Views: 3
The heat pad I purchased provides constant heat and does not shut off automatically. Comes in ex large size too (Amazon)
I've never actually gotten a Sunbeam, cheap no-name ones seem to work just fine for me. As I only brood very small batches I find the 12x15 size to be perfect for 3 to 4 chicks, with plenty of wiggle room.

Hi y'all! I am new to everything chickens and have 18 chicks coming later this week. While trying to learn everything I can, I came across the mama heating pad cave concept which I want to try. I've seen several examples of them but they all seem to be for small number of chicks. What size pad can y'all recommend for 18-20 chicks? I have less than a week to get the cave ready so any help is appreciated. Thank you!
The cave shape could be a problem for that many chicks.

With a broody hen, chicks can go under her from all sides, and can get back out on all sides if they are feeling crowded.

A brooder plate (flat thing on legs) can let chicks go under from all sides, and get out on all sides.

A heat lamp can let chicks go in and out of the warm area from all sides (unless it's in a corner, then they only have two sides to go in and out, but that is still quite a lot of space to go in and out of.)

But with a cave that is closed everywhere except the back, you have a risk of chicks in front squishing chicks in back, and the ones in back being trapped with no way out. Then the back ones can get killed by squishing or by overheating. This would not be a problem with a small number of chicks (plenty of space for the back one to get past the other few), but I would be concerned that 18-20 chicks could be a dangerously large number for this setup.

Having two caves could help with keeping all the chicks warm, but will not help much with the smothering issue. They might all try to go into one cave at the same time. Chicks tend to copy each other and stay in groups, so I think there is a pretty good chance they would all try to go into the same one.

I can't say for sure whether it will work for you or not, just mentioning the details I would be most concerned about. Actually watching the chicks will give you much more information than predictions made by some person on the internet, but of course that doesn't help with setting up before they arrive.

Most hatcheries won't issue a refund if the chicks aren't provided heat lamps.To be safe its best to check their policies
I agree, definitely check the policy of the hatchery.

There is a good reason to use heat lamps for newly-arrived chicks instead of any other heat source.

The chicks arrive cold, thirsty, hungry, and confused. If you put them under a heat lamp, they can warm up and drink and eat all at the same time. If they wander off, they are attracted back by the light and by the warmth. Because it makes a circle of warmth, hottest in the middle, they can easily move to spots that are a bit warmer or a bit cooler.

With any of the heating pad or brooder plate ideas, a chick can choose to get warm, or it can choose to eat and drink, but it cannot do both at the same time. After a few days, when they have recovered from being shipped, that is not a problem. But when they first arrive, they need to get warm right away and they also need to eat & drink very soon. Being able to do all those things at the same time can be a big help.

A heat lamp also puts out much more heat than most heating pad or brooder plate setups. Shipped chicks can arrive badly chilled, so they need much more heat to get warm again. Once they are fully warm and fed (a day or two later), they do not need as much heat to stay warm. But that extra heat right at the beginning can make a difference.

It makes the most difference for the chicks that arrive in the worst shape. So chicks that arrive in good condition, running around and peeping and so forth, may be okay with a heating pad cave from the first day. But chicks that are in bad shape, may recover just fine under a heat lamp with food & water in the warm area, but might crawl under a cave and die there while trying to get warm and still being hungry and thirsty. Or if they can't stand up, they may not be able to get warm enough from a heating pad or heat plate (if they are expected to snuggle against it from underneath: standing up takes energy they may not have.) And if you pull them out and drip sugar water in their beaks, trying to give them more energy, then they are getting chilled again.

These points apply to chicks that have just been shipped. They do not apply to chicks that hatch under a broody hen, or chicks that just hatched in an incubator and did not get shipped, or chicks that were shipped to a store and spent several days recovering there before you got them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom