Malpositioned chicks! What do I do?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
I have two eggs that are the smallest ones (1 and 1/2”) and both the chicks inside are malpositioned.

One chick is from a clutched that all hatched today. I see it’s toes wiggling inside when candling (I kept it in the same position all the while). Should I poke a little hole somewhere?
I think since it’s head is so cramped in that small egg, it’s not going to be able to get itself out.

This is a photo of the egg mention, taken in the beginning of incubation. I think the specific shape of these eggs are causing the problem. Other eggs were larger, better shaped, and all hatched.
C5E56D9D-DF79-4291-BBB0-77371D10C897.jpeg

I have two eggs that are the smallest ones (1 and 1/2”) and both the chicks inside are malpositioned.

One chick is from a clutched that all hatched today. I see it’s toes wiggling inside when candling (I kept it in the same position all the while). Should I poke a little hole somewhere?
I think since it’s head is so cramped in that small egg, it’s not going to be able to get itself out.

This is a photo of the egg mention, taken in the beginning of incubation. I think the specific shape of these eggs are causing the problem. Other eggs were larger, better shaped, and all hatched.
View attachment 3312975
I'm sorry. I wish I could help you more.

Has it pipped yet? If so, I would make the hole a tad bigger, so you know its getting plenty of air. Being careful of blood vessels.
But, if not make a hole where you see the chicks beak. And again, so you know its getting g plenty of air.
Also, if needed, I'd do an assisted hatch.

Good luck! Hopefully that helps.

~Yard farmer~

I'm sorry. I wish I could help you more.

Has it pipped yet?
No pip yet. I’ve drawn a photo of what I see:
8B99FDE9-882E-4DFE-B8E8-5C50FF9ADF04.jpeg

So for both eggs, I only see a toe/foot moving. I think as the air cell gets larger, it’s cramping the chick more into this malposition.
With the chick that should have hatched I’m not sure how long to wait. I’m still able to see a few veins toward the air cell veins though. So I hope if they’re gone and absorbed that I’ll have time to save it? I’m not sure.
If so, I would make the hole a tad bigger, so you know its getting plenty of air. Being careful of blood vessels.
But, if not make a hole where you see the chicks beak. And again, so you know its getting g plenty of air.
Does it matter where I’d make the hole? I’m not sure where it’s mouth is.
Also, if needed, I'd do an assisted hatch.
At what point should I consider that?
Good luck! Hopefully that helps.

~Yard farmer~

So for both eggs, I only see a toe/foot moving. I think as the air cell gets larger, it’s cramping the chick more into this malposition.
With the chick that should have hatched I’m not sure how long to wait. I’m still able to see a few veins toward the air cell veins though. So I hope if they’re gone and absorbed that I’ll have time to save it? I’m not sure.
Do you hear chirping yet?
I think you're right. As the chick gets ready to hatch the air cell will get larger.
I would make a hole on the air cell then, when you see the toe, maybe try to spread the membrane around the toe? Then you can be on the safe side of not hurting the baby. Just be careful of blood vessels.
Does it matter where I’d make the hole? I’m not sure where it’s mouth is.
I would do either the air cell, or the opposite end of the egg from the air cell.
At what point should I consider that?
If the chick hasn't pipped by tomorrow I'd do it then.
What day is it no?

Do you hear chirping yet?
No chirping at all. The rest of the 11 eggs hatched too.
I think you're right. As the chick gets ready to hatch the air cell will get larger.
I would make a hole on the air cell then, when you see the toe, maybe try to spread the membrane around the toe? Then you can be on the safe side of not hurting the baby. Just be careful of blood vessels.
I’ll respond to this message again if it hasn’t done anything tomorrow and I begin the process.
So once it’s toe is exposed, what does that do? Will it be encouraged to move or would it still be stuck?
It think it’s position may look like this:
986CC40C-BC11-4EBA-983A-AB1E4C6E369A.jpeg

I would do either the air cell, or the opposite end of the egg from the air cell.
At the tip?
If the chick hasn't pipped by tomorrow I'd do it then.
What day is it no?
I’m actually not sure. The rest got out of their eggs so I don’t think any are delayed from one another.
Should I wait till the couple of veins are gone or would it be too late by then? I notice chicks have some veins while hatching begins, then absorb before fully hatching.

I haven’t done chickens but I have hatched ducklings
My first batch I did my duck was new to laying and her eggs were small
This caused 4 of the 6 to need help
I had 2 at the wrong end
First time I saw a bruise at the pointy end but didn’t really know what it meant. That baby died not being able to break the shell
Second baby that I saw a bruise was actually an egg mom duck was broody on but I wasn’t going to chance it again so I immediately made a safety hole in the bruise not get big then waited 24 hours and made it bigger then another 28 hours before she hatched. Now time wise is different for a chicken then a duck but it gives you an idea
Look for any bruising around the egg
Then make the small safety hole in the middle of the bruise be very careful not to poke baby

I’m starting the process today. I tried using a needle and the pair of tweezers I always use for this. But nothing is putting a crack on this thing. I think it hasn’t been humid enough. It chirped once from inside though.
What tool do I use to break open that safety hole?

Back
Top Bottom