Lost for ideas - 50 birds and less than 10 eggs a day

Serth

Hatching
Aug 16, 2017
Hello all, new poster on here although have found the forum very useful beforehand. I've got a problem that I hope you can help with.

I have approx 35 brown warrens, various bantams (gold dutch, peking etc), 9 call ducks and 4 indian runner ducks. They all live in a concrete shed with loads of egg boxes, lots of space and food. The shed is approx 6m x 3m and there are loads of roosts etc for the birds. There are 3 roosters (all bantam) and 1 drake that we currently know of, and all birds apart from 10 of the ducks should be of egg laying age.

Despite wanting to lay in the hedge (we have normally found nests given away by the birds running there as soon as they are let out), the birds have one or two favorite spots in the shed. However, we would be expecting a solid 25-30 eggs from the warrens a day because they are supposed to lay approx 320 eggs a year. I don't know the age of the whole flock but some 13 or so were bought as pullets earlier this year, and most of the bantams and ducks are very young.

This problem has been ongoing for about 4 months now so I don't think it could be molt. We used to get a solid 18 eggs a day before the warren pullets were introduced and my bantams would provide 3 or 4 eggs for me daily too. Now I'm lucky if I get 2 eggs a week from the bantams and between 7 and 12 a day from the warrens

None of the hens appear to be broody, none seem to be missing, they are all fed layers pellets with a little mixed corn sometimes, and are ALWAYS free range. They get locked up at about 9.30pm and come out again at approx 9.30am, every day, never with any restrictions. They all rush to drink from puddles/ponds in the morning as we don't give them water over night (they splash it everywhere and it makes their bedding very soggy), but they have plenty of access to water

There are no obvious causes of stress for the birds - there are 8 cats and 6 dogs on the farm but the chickens rule the roost, the dogs and cats are scared of them.

I thought the problem could be a red mite infestation, and so I gave the whole run a deep clean, disinfect, fresh bedding and changed up the perches and boxes to give a bit of variety. The disinfectant was a mite killer too, and to top it all off, I powdered every bird that evening. The waste that I removed from the run was either burned or dug into my allotment away from the farm (3 miles away), to prevent reinfection.

I am lost for ideas now. Obviously it's nice to have chickens about but they need to pay their way on a working farm to a certain extent. Short of selling all the stock and starting again, my only other thought would be worming the hens, which I have only just learned about (been suggested by another poultry keeper nearby) but I don't know if this could help improve egg laying.

On a possibly related note, possibly 4 times a year we loose a chicken to some sort of constipation/egg bound illness, where the chicken starts getting very large, very messy vents, wattle folds over and the bird just looks unwell for about 2 weeks until it dies. Tried massaging and cleaning the area but not had any success, vetinary bills are £30 for a consultation and then anything else on top, usually for the vet to say there is nothing they can do.

I am located in north Wales, UK, if this helps any sort of diagnosis.

Many thanks in advance from me and my birds!

Matt

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are so glad you joined our flock.

Can you collect some fresh poop and take it to a vet to test for worm loads?

Jump right in and make yourself at home.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Thanks both. Nothing can get in/out unless it really tries but the cats keep down the rat population. No tell tale signs of broken egg shells etc and eggs are collected daily.

Will look into the worm situation, but is it likely that this could be affecting their egg laying anyways?

Hello! So cool to be talking with you over in Wales! Right away, I'm thinking, they free range all day, so either they are hiding their favorite laying spot somewhere, or someone or something could be eating those eggs. Is it possible that a neighbor could be stealing your eggs? Or could your dogs be eating the eggs. Dogs love eggs.....What about the possibility of keeping your chickens contained for the first half of the day, and then letting them out for the rest of the day? That would possibly force them to get into the habit of using the nesting boxes, and you would then know the true amount of eggs they're laying. You would have to do that for a month to really get them into the habit of laying in the nest boxes like they should. Best of luck and hello from Ohio!

Hello! So cool to be talking with you over in Wales! Right away, I'm thinking, they free range all day, so either they are hiding their favorite laying spot somewhere, or someone or something could be eating those eggs. Is it possible that a neighbor could be stealing your eggs? Or could your dogs be eating the eggs. Dogs love eggs.....What about the possibility of keeping your chickens contained for the first half of the day, and then letting them out for the rest of the day? That would possibly force them to get into the habit of using the nesting boxes, and you would then know the true amount of eggs they're laying. You would have to do that for a month to really get them into the habit of laying in the nest boxes like they should. Best of luck and hello from Ohio!
:goodpost:

Thanks all for your replies. Whilst I am quite sure that nothing is eating the eggs (I'd surely see signs of broken eggs/magpies about all the time and the dogs would struggle to reach the eggs and aren't out free reign most of the time). I am currently most inclined towards the possibility of worms. I say this because ALL of my birds, hens or ducks are not laying, either in or out of the house. I've read up about how there are 2 groups of worms, one that will be directly ingested by the chicken through eggs in the food they eat next to where another chicken has deficated, but also through a secondary method where the slugs and snails and bugs have eaten the worm eggs and then they get eaten by the birds. Keeping them in for over half a day I fear will have too much of an effect on their quality of life.

Unless there are any other suggestions, I'll look into medicated feed for worming and see if we can keep them locked away a little longer, and see if that helps. What other pests may eat eggs other than dogs cats and magpies, and other chickens?

Forgot to mention - I don't think anyone steals the eggs. I live on a farm and I keep my birds (the ducks and bantams) along with the landlords warrens, and we are the only ones that have anything to do with the birds. The only other people that go in the shed are his wife and son, both of who collect eggs for the same purpose as the landlord and therefore would let each other know of they've been down to collect eggs or not.

Snakes...racoons...coyotes..fox...bears...
any other animals.

Do you live in the USA?
I only know of feed that is medicated with something t help with Coccidiosis, not sure if worm medicine feed is out there or not.
But there are a few different type of worm medicines you can give orally to get rid of worms.

Back
Top Bottom