ShaliniW1985

Chirping
Jul 2, 2020
Over the past few years, I have been able to start a duck and chicken farm and about 4 months ago, I decided to get turkeys as an addition to my farm. My family and I bought two turkeys, both hens named Sydney and Andy. Sadly, after a month of owning Andy, we discovere that her growth was stunted and that she had perosis (slipped tendon). At the point that we discovered it, there was nothing I could do to help and last month Andy passed away. Luckily Sydney was seeming happy and lively and didn‘t seem to lonely, she was chirping when she saw us and was extremely friendly, until about a week ago. Last week we noticed that Sydney was seeming lonely and sad. She was eating and drinking normally, but she seemed to do was lay around and her tail feathers were always drooping. She stopped excitedly chirping when she saw people and now she just seems so sad. She doesn’t get along well with the other chickens and always fluffs up to scare them away. So I did some research and I heard that turkeys can actually DIE from loneliness and I don’t know what to do. I wanted to get her a friend, but I wouldn‘t no where to put her during her quarantine before being introduced to the flock. What should I do? Is. she sick or does she Just need a friend? Any advice?

Over the past few years, I have been able to start a duck and chicken farm and about 4 months ago, I decided to get turkeys as an addition to my farm. My family and I bought two turkeys, both hens named Sydney and Andy. Sadly, after a month of owning Andy, we discovere that her growth was stunted and that she had perosis (slipped tendon). At the point that we discovered it, there was nothing I could do to help and last month Andy passed away. Luckily Sydney was seeming happy and lively and didn‘t seem to lonely, she was chirping when she saw us and was extremely friendly, until about a week ago. Last week we noticed that Sydney was seeming lonely and sad. She was eating and drinking normally, but she seemed to do was lay around and her tail feathers were always drooping. She stopped excitedly chirping when she saw people and now she just seems so sad. She doesn’t get along well with the other chickens and always fluffs up to scare them away. So I did some research and I heard that turkeys can actually DIE from loneliness and I don’t know what to do. I wanted to get her a friend, but I wouldn‘t no where to put her during her quarantine before being introduced to the flock. What should I do? Is. she sick or does she Just need a friend? Any advice?
Your hen may be sick or it may be a combination of both loneliness and illness.

Do you know what she might be sick with? She hasn’t been exposed to anything and I don’t know what it would be.
Without seeing the turkey in person, anything would be just a guess just like I am guessing it is a broad breasted turkey which are designed for rapid growth and processing at a young age. On poor quality feed they can develop all kinds of problems including perosis and congestive heart failure.

Might taking a picture/video of her behavior help out? She is a broad breasted turkey but as far as I know her feed is fine, we feed her mash from out local feed store, cracked corn and I believe, Dumor poultry pellets, and they‘ve worked fine for my other poultry.

Might taking a picture/video of her behavior help out? She is a broad breasted turkey but as far as I know her feed is fine, we feed her mash from out local feed store, cracked corn and I believe, Dumor poultry pellets, and they‘ve worked fine for my other poultry.
It is possible that @casportpony may be able to spot something from a video.

Turkeys aren't chickens and have different nutritional needs than chickens. If it was raised with chick starter, it never was able to develop properly because of being nutritionally deprived. Unless you are planning to process it, it is not a good idea to feed a BB turkey a high fat feed like corn.

Might taking a picture/video of her behavior help out? She is a broad breasted turkey but as far as I know her feed is fine, we feed her mash from out local feed store, cracked corn and
It is possible that @casportpony may be able to spot something from a video.

Turkeys aren't chickens and have different nutritional needs than chickens. If it was raised with chick starter, it never was able to develop properly because of being nutritionally deprived. Unless you are planning to process it, it is not a good idea to feed a BB turkey a high fat feed like corn.
She doesn’t seem like shes having nutritional problems, but I’ll lay off the corn. It should be okay because she was just introduced to the corn. I can try getting another food higher in protein when I’m at the feed store on Saturday. Ill try to get a video too. Much thanks!

Might taking a picture/video of her behavior help out? She is a broad breasted turkey but as far as I know her feed is fine, we feed her mash from out local feed store, cracked corn and

She doesn’t seem like shes having nutritional problems, but I’ll lay off the corn. It should be okay because she was just introduced to the corn. I can try getting another food higher in protein when I’m at the feed store on Saturday. Ill try to get a video too. Much thanks!
An all flock feed has the higher concentrations of lysine, methionine and niacin that a turkey needs. It isn't about higher protein as much as the other things.

An all flock feed has the higher concentrations of lysine, methionine and niacin that a turkey needs. It isn't about higher protein as much as the other things.
I got Sydney some of her old grower feed that has more protein and I’m going to get her some poultry supplements. I also noticed something else this morning, she has been pulling her hear back and to the side, it doesn’t appear injured and she car move it, but she’s been pulling it back like she’s scared. Do you know what this could be?

I got Sydney some of her old grower feed that has more protein and I’m going to get her some poultry supplements. I also noticed something else this morning, she has been pulling her hear back and to the side, it doesn’t appear injured and she car move it, but she’s been pulling it back like she’s scared. Do you know what this could be?
Wry neck.. nutrition deficiency

Back
Top Bottom