Lime to rid mites???

eman

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Burton, Ohio
I was talking to an old farmer who swore that burnt lime or the powdered lime you get from Tractor Supply will kill mites. He has used it since he was a kid (he is now 90 or so) sprinkling it in coops, nest and runs. He said he has even used it in the yard to get rid of fleas and ticks when their dog had flease really bad.

Is he full of BS?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:
I heard this years ago and asked my dad about it...He warned me to be very careful with lime...He said his buddy used it in his dog runs and blinded two of his dogs with it... burnt ones foot really badly! My dad said I would be better off to use sevin dust and that's what I have used..on dogs, in houses and in their sleeping areas.. I have used a small amount in my wood ashes (in the dust bath tub for my girls...

Yes, I sprinkle a small amount in the nest boxes, on my roosting boards and in the ashes, each time I replace with new/fresh bedding.

Agricultural lime is the lime to use around animals. Hydrated lime is extremely corrosive and should never be used around animals unless it is in whitewash form or allowed to soak into the ground for a few weeks or 3 heavy rains. Hydrated lime is very effective at altering soil pH, controlling insects, decreasing noxious odors and increasing decomposition, but it is tricky to work with because of its dangerous nature. If you want to control insects and odors use some food-grade diatomaceous earth around your yard. It's much safer.

Actually a really wonderful product that we use is diatomaceous Earth. We sprinkle it in pens, boxes, and where the chickens take dust baths. A lot of Farm stores carry it and it's pretty cheap. It's great with pest control and worms.

Back
Top Bottom