Lighting for ducklings?

Gigglebox

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
I just came across an article that mentions leaving lights on for the ducklings for 7-8 weeks....? I have never seen this mentioned anywhere before. I was going to have them on natural light (they'll be in a south facing room at first).

What do you all do? If you leave the lights on, do you wean them off?

Were they referring to a heat light? Because those they need on constantly at first to keep them warm. I've never heard of just giving them constant regular light for eight weeks though and don't know why you'd need to.

Were they referring to a heat light? Because those they need on constantly at first to keep them warm. I've never heard of just giving them constant regular light for eight weeks though and don't know why you'd need to.
And it would mess up the sleep cycle too. I like to use the red light heat lamp because it doesn't interfere with their sleep cycle the way white light does.

I agree, I always use red
smile.png
I'd give you an ovation but I'm fresh out. so next best thing
thumbsup.gif

When my ducklings were in the brooder I used a heat lamp on them, White for the daytime and then I have a night time reptile light I put on them at night. But by week 4 they have been without the brooder light. Of course I have 11 ducks and a goose so they can snuggle just fine.

Hah, that makes sense, maybe that's what they meant. They just said "lighting". I actually have ceramic bulbs, hence the natural sunlight.

Thank goodness, i was thinking, "THEN HOW THE HECK DO THEY DO IT IN THE WILD?!! Lol

Last edited:
True confession - some of my runners were afraid of the dark so they had a dim little night light. Einz was the slowest to get over her fear of the dark.

And it seemed to have no effect on laying.

YRMV

Awwe that is cute :)

Here's the quote from the site i was reading. Do you see why i was confused?

"Light- This pertains to all baby poultry. Your birds will need at least 24 hrs of light for their first five to eight weeks. If you use a heat lamp to brood your birds, that will suffice for all the light they will need. If not heating with a heat lamp, you can use a 60 watt bulb to provide light."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom