Lets talk about goats!

I would give it a try. It will be another 5 months before she kids. Keep a close eye on the worm load before she drops the baby. I firmly believe worm loads kill newborns.

Definitely, worms lead to malnourishment no matter if they look physically fine. I just treated her with ivermectin after finding some lice on her which will cover all parasites. I am going to wait until she turns one to begin breeding her, although I still have not worked out the stud breeding situation.

Theres no reason why dairy goats shouldn't look big and muscular....just because they are bred to produce milk, doesn't mean they shouldn't have a large frame a muscling ability. While far less important, this allows for easier kidding. If you spend money on a cheap malnourished doe and she dies kidding, you're out that money. But if you pay a little extra and get good bloodlines and a well fed doe, she will pay for herself. 

Thank you for this information. :) I honestly know very little about dairy goats so this has been interesting to learn about.
I do breed boers but not into my dairy goats cause then I couldn't register them. I just shop around and find good massive animals that are easy keepers with showy confirmation and hope we get offspring that are equally as meaty and massive. I show heavy and I have been asked what I do but it's all in genetics. Heavier, meaty animals will pass that trait on.

Oh okay, I hadn't even thought about the registering part, lol. It seems that you sort of want what you get in meat goats in dairy goats. A massive, meaty, muscular build. Thanks for the info! :)

my pygmy just kidded.

This one is a baby boy. Had to help mom deliver. The kid was about half as big as she is. Seem to be nursing and doing well. Had to clear the air passage during delivery.

Back
Top Bottom