Lets talk about goats!

Theres no reason why dairy goats shouldn't look big and muscular....just because they are bred to produce milk, doesn't mean they shouldn't have a large frame a muscling ability. While far less important, this allows for easier kidding. If you spend money on a cheap malnourished doe and she dies kidding, you're out that money. But if you pay a little extra and get good bloodlines and a well fed doe, she will pay for herself.

This isn't the best pic but it shows the body on my three dairy does. I can't stand to see a bone sticking out and they have nice thick legs and big feet on them. Very easy keepers too!

I tend to think this is an example of superior genetics. I have two goats I can't get to fill out no matter what I do. One weather we bought almost died on us and scoured for almost a month and wouldn't eat for a while. We finally cut some privet and it started eating again. It eats well now but it is still skin and bones.

I do breed boers but not into my dairy goats cause then I couldn't register them. I just shop around and find good massive animals that are easy keepers with showy confirmation and hope we get offspring that are equally as meaty and massive. I show heavy and I have been asked what I do but it's all in genetics. Heavier, meaty animals will pass that trait on.

So I have heard that 40lbs is a good weight for a doeling at about a year old for her to be bred for the first time, my doe is now 30 lbs and 9 months old. Do yall think she is on a good track?

Back
Top Bottom