Laying pellets and broodiness

HelenShoe

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2024
Your opinions please: I have not had a broody hen for months - unlike ussual. And not because of changing weather. I used to give them corm and laying pellets permanently. A farmer wondered what the effect of laying pellets might be - does it maybe stop broodiness as they only want to lay eggs because of the layer feed?

You’re welcome☺️ Providing a nice dark nest area and always having eggs in the nest (probably be best to get ceramic eggs) supposedly encourages them to brood. Didn’t work for me, but that doesn’t mean anything. Give it a try!!

I have tried numerous time, nothing works like a sure trick. A lot just plain depends on the broody Gods. A pile of eggs can help, kind of sort of.

If you get one - WAIT before setting eggs. I don't know how many times, I would run to the house, mark eggs only to have them quit, then 3 days later get serious.

good luck...I am praying for one too!

You’re welcome☺️ Providing a nice dark nest area and always having eggs in the nest (probably be best to get ceramic eggs) supposedly encourages them to brood. Didn’t work for me, but that doesn’t mean anything. Give it a try!!
I will just let them be. We do struggle now to get healthy hens, but will buy some when available to add to my ! Thank you, have a blessed Easter

Back
Top Bottom