Laws for selling chickens in Texas?

hello I am from texas and i am not trying to forum still or nothing but if i may I have two questions .question 1. I was wondering where do i go or what do i do to get the testing done? , the vets around here have no clue about chickens and last time i took one in the practacly passed out and the nurses kept laughing at me the other vet sent me to the one that laughed and the doc almost passed out it is frustrating I almost lost my whole flock to a cold a lil med tea cured , thanks to ppl on here they are all happy and healthy now . but no thanks to any vet . we have three vets here and none have a clue about chickens two wont even see them . this was my first few chickens and i didnt know what to do they were sickly when i got em i think i got duped cause i didnt know at the time , now i do. second question. i am wondering if they is something worse wrong with them because now they arent sick they eat good i wormed em and wormed em again they are free ranged most the time but they are all kinda skinny their hind ends are big and fat but their breast are boney i have only had em for 3 1/2 months i am wondering because they were so skinny when i got em if it is just gonna take time for them to fill in exspeacially now that it is so hot ? I also read laying hens are kind skinny ? but any ways thanks for all the info

The Pullorium/Typoid testing is FREE. You pay the $25 to receive the certificate to sell eggs, birds, etc out of the state of Texas. This is according to Dickey Richardson, who does the testing on fowl here in Texas. As long as your tested for the above, you're fine. Thats all the state of Texas requires.

The above came from an earlier post.

I received this email from Dusty Boullion the guy that does the testing here in NorthEast Texas. He could probably tell you who does your part of the state also. Oh yea they have to be 4 months old for testing or prove they came from a certified hatchery.

I do the Pullorum Typhoid testing for your area. There is no fee involved for getting your birds tested. At this time a negative pullorum test is the only thing that is needed to sell hatching eggs and live chickens from your farm. If you decide to sell from farmers market, then you will have to obtain a Fowl Registration permit from TAHC. If you would like your birds tested just let know and I can get you on my schedule.
Dusty Boullion 903-327-6947

I am not sure how many birds. I think they take a sampling of a few birds. You can ask the below person about any specific questions you may have.
I received this email from Dusty Boullion the guy that does the testing here in NorthEast Texas. He could probably tell you who does your part of the state also. Oh yea they have to be 4 months old for testing or prove they came from a certified hatchery.

The Texas Animal Health Commission will come out and test your birds by taking a blood sample form a few within the same pen, one of each breed. He will then sign a paper showing that they tested clean. At that point you will later receive a packet in the mail that will have paperwork and a small business like card. At this point you can sell your chickens. I would suggest that you keep very good records on your sales though and banding is a good idea if you plan on selling a lot of birds, this identifies each bird and allows the owners to know where the birds were purchased from. When I sell my chicks, pullets or a mature bird, I always give a copy of the paperwork from the health commission to the buyer. It makes for good business and happy return customers. And the paperwork helps me keep record of where my birds were sold.. Hope this helps you.

Just had mine done for the 2nd year in November. Had one hen that seemed to test positive and she took a trip to Texas A&M for further testing. They found that she had a false positive. Got my certificate everything is aok for now.

Do you have contact information for the person that does P-T testing for the state of Texas? I'm trying to figure out if I need to have testing done to sell eggs from the farm straight to the end user.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom