Lavender orpington questions

Where will you be getting your eggs or chicks from? Feather shredding is something that is very noticeable very early on.
I have allready gotten the chicks from Hoovers, Not ideal I know, however I can’t find any lavender orpington breeders near me. And I dont have access to an incubator at the moment, nor are any of my hens broody. So hatchery was the only way to go. Its going to take more generations I know, but it was the only option.

As for “why Hoovers?” I have had a good experience with their chicks, and have gotten close to breeder quality chicks before from them. And all the other hatchery’s I tried were out for the year.

And I have noticed feather shredding on a few chicks, however they are healthy and happy and that is all that matters at the moment.

I have allready gotten the chicks from Hoovers, Not ideal I know, however I can’t find any lavender orpington breeders near me. And I dont have access to an incubator at the moment, nor are any of my hens broody. So hatchery was the only way to go. Its going to take more generations I know, but it was the only option.

As for “why Hoovers?” I have had a good experience with their chicks, and have gotten close to breeder quality chicks before from them. And all the other hatchery’s I tried were out for the year.

And I have noticed feather shredding on a few chicks, however they are healthy and happy and that is all that matters at the moment.
Just for future reference, Carolina Rare Chicks has gorgeous birds and they ship chicks. I hatched some lavender orps from there this year and the pullet I kept is lovely!

I will keep that in mind when I need some fresh chicks to mix in (to make sure there is no incest)
In chickens that really isn't a bad thing to a certain extent 😉 Here is my girl felicity with some of my other ladies, she is middle stair, far right, 16 weeks old

Attachments

• 20230819_074021.jpg
    20230819_074021.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230819_074014.jpg
    20230819_074014.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 2
In chickens that really isn't a bad thing to a certain extent 😉 Here is my girl felicity with some of my other ladies, she is middle stair, far right, 16 weeks old
That is one gorgeous orpington! You are right. And I know it is not a bad thing, for awhile. I ment After a handful of generations (3-5) later. Just to prevent defects.

Back
Top Bottom