Lavender orpington questions

Hey @TudyBOT what is everything a SOP breeder of lavender orpingtons need to know about them? What is an obvious defeat that apears allmost as soon as they are fully feathered?
@TudyBOT
Hey there, @Cool_Catrules456! As a SOP breeder of lavender Orpingtons, there are a few things you should know about these beautiful birds. Lavender Orpingtons are known for their calm and friendly temperament, making them great choices for backyard flocks. Here are some key points:

1. Lavender coloration: Lavender Orpingtons have a unique lavender color, which is a dilution of black. This color can vary in intensity from bird to bird.
2. Size and weight: These birds are large and heavy, typically weighing around 8-10 pounds for hens and 10-12 pounds for roosters, so make sure to provide them with ample space.
3. Feather quality: Lavender Orpingtons have soft, fluffy feathers, which can make them susceptible to feather damage or being picked on by other birds. Providing them with proper coop conditions and monitoring flock dynamics can help mitigate this issue.
4. Broodiness: Lavender Orpingtons are known for their tendency to go broody, meaning they may stop laying eggs for a period of time while they focus on incubating eggs. This can be advantageous if you are interested in hatching chicks.
5. Health considerations: Like all chickens, lavender Orpingtons require proper nutrition, clean housing, and regular health care to thrive. Be sure to stay vigilant for signs of common chicken ailments and address them promptly.

As for an obvious "defeat" that appears once lavender Orpingtons are fully feathered, you may be referring to a genetic flaw or deformity. Without more specific information, it's difficult to pinpoint a specific defect, but some common issues found in chickens include leg abnormalities, feathering issues, or certain genetic disorders. Regularly assessing your birds' health, observing their behavior, and seeking guidance from experienced breeders or avian veterinarians can help you identify and address any such issues.

Remember, being a responsible breeder involves prioritizing the health and well-being of your flock, striving to improve breed standards, and participating in the proper stewardship of lavender Orpingtons.

Hey there, @Cool_Catrules456! As a SOP breeder of lavender Orpingtons, there are a few things you should know about these beautiful birds. Lavender Orpingtons are known for their calm and friendly temperament, making them great choices for backyard flocks. Here are some key points:

1. Lavender coloration: Lavender Orpingtons have a unique lavender color, which is a dilution of black. This color can vary in intensity from bird to bird.
2. Size and weight: These birds are large and heavy, typically weighing around 8-10 pounds for hens and 10-12 pounds for roosters, so make sure to provide them with ample space.
3. Feather quality: Lavender Orpingtons have soft, fluffy feathers, which can make them susceptible to feather damage or being picked on by other birds. Providing them with proper coop conditions and monitoring flock dynamics can help mitigate this issue.
4. Broodiness: Lavender Orpingtons are known for their tendency to go broody, meaning they may stop laying eggs for a period of time while they focus on incubating eggs. This can be advantageous if you are interested in hatching chicks.
5. Health considerations: Like all chickens, lavender Orpingtons require proper nutrition, clean housing, and regular health care to thrive. Be sure to stay vigilant for signs of common chicken ailments and address them promptly.

As for an obvious "defeat" that appears once lavender Orpingtons are fully feathered, you may be referring to a genetic flaw or deformity. Without more specific information, it's difficult to pinpoint a specific defect, but some common issues found in chickens include leg abnormalities, feathering issues, or certain genetic disorders. Regularly assessing your birds' health, observing their behavior, and seeking guidance from experienced breeders or avian veterinarians can help you identify and address any such issues.

Remember, being a responsible breeder involves prioritizing the health and well-being of your flock, striving to improve breed standards, and participating in the proper stewardship of lavender Orpingtons.
Thank you.
@TudyBOT I did indeed mean “Defect” it seems my auto correct has failed. What is the proper rooster to hen ratio. I plan on starting off with one rooster for now. And I am planing on making this a feather sex linage.

Should I separate the slow feathering chicks from the fast feathering chicks now? Or wait a few generations? (Thinking of doing it later once I get them to being the breed standard.)

Thank you.
@TudyBOT I did indeed mean “Defect” it seems my auto correct has failed. What is the proper rooster to hen ratio. I plan on starting off with one rooster for now. And I am planing on making this a feather sex linage.

Should I separate the slow feathering chicks from the fast feathering chicks now? Or wait a few generations? (Thinking of doing it later once I get them to being the breed standard.)
@TudyBOT

Thank you.

@TudyBOT
@Cool_Catrules456, you're welcome! Regarding the proper rooster to hen ratio, a general guideline is to have one rooster for every 8-10 hens. This ratio helps to ensure optimal fertility and minimize excessive mating or aggression between roosters. However, it's important to observe the behavior of your specific flock to determine if adjustments need to be made. If you notice signs of overmating or aggression, you may need to add additional hens or consider separating the roosters.

As for creating a feather sex linkage, this breeding method involves selecting for a specific feather trait that can be used to determine the sex of the chicks. It can be a complex process and requires careful breeding and selection over multiple generations. If you're interested in pursuing a feather sex linkage, it's recommended to research and consult with experienced breeders who have successfully implemented this method.

Regarding the slow feathering chicks, it ultimately depends on your specific breeding goals. If slow feathering is considered a desirable trait in the lavender Orpington breed standard, you may want to separate the slow feathering chicks and breed them selectively to maintain that trait. However, if slow feathering is considered a defect or undesirable, it may be best to focus on breeding the fast feathering chicks and gradually eliminate the gene for slow feathering from your breeding program.

Remember, breeding to improve breed standards takes time, patience, and careful selection. It's always a good idea to reach out to established breeders or poultry associations specializing in lavender Orpingtons for further guidance.

Hey @TudyBOT what is everything a SOP breeder of lavender orpingtons need to know about them? What is an obvious defeat that apears allmost as soon as they are fully feathered?
Where will you be getting your eggs or chicks from? Feather shredding is something that is very noticeable very early on.

Back
Top Bottom