Key West chickens

merryreader

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
The beautiful State of Maine!
Has any one read Katha Sheehan's book, "Tales of an Island Rooster"? I love the Key West chickens, but now feel so bad for their hard life. Yet, it was a deciding factor for letting my feather picking chickens out of their pen this spring, to free range, despite the potential dangers. Sometimes it IS better to have your space and freedom,with human supervision, that is. Merry

I have not read the book but I did have the opportunity to see them early in Feb. They are beautiful and it appears there are way to many roosters.

I haven't read the book but it sounds interesting. My husband works in the Caribbean a lot, he sent me this picture recently from St. Baths. When we talk on the phone I can always hear the roosters crowing in the background. I love the idea of wild flocks of chickens roaming around. What's the problem in Key West? Too many or too many people? Jen

CIMG0590.jpg

So whats the issue with the key west chickens? We were in the keys a few years ago and I gotta tell the chickens were treated like royalty. We seen hens with chicks on 2 or 3 of the islands we didnt see any problems with the life of the chickens or the cats.

I have been to Key West for the last several years and love to watch the chickens and capture them on film. It does seem there may be too many roosters, but the problem appears to be with some of the people who don't like roosters crowing under their windows early in the morning. Then again,there are the youngsters who want to fight with the roosters. they are game cocks, bred to fight, mostly. They are beautiful and one would assume that all is well with them, but they are subjected to dangers of the wild: cats, snakes,cars and diseases. Still, it's in their blood to run free. The gov is trying to relocate them to other parts of the Keys and at the Chicken Store they are available for adoption. They are a hardy strain. They are protected from abuse. It is quite a sight to see the running free in Key West. I only wish them the best. If you get a chance buy the book. It's for a good cause, because we all love chickens. merry

I saw something on tv about that a while back. They talked to some people who were disgusted with the chicken poo, and stuff like that. There are probably other issues too. I'm sure the locals love their chickens.

Most of the issues have stemmed from people's fear of the avian flu. Because several kinds of birds migrate through the Keys, there is the fear that one of those species could transmit it to the chickens, then the chickens to the people. I was in the Keys two years ago, and they pretty much run loose everywhere, including in the streets and in open-air restaurants. They will go inside and go all under the tables and chairs, even while customers are eating. One place we went to had signs up to warn customers not to feed the chickens, but I'm sure some bread or fries have "accidentally" found their way to the floor.
wink.png

I think it really adds to the "charm" of Key West. I love to see them in the stores etc. I just never realized how tough they have it. I know that some store owners throw out scaps for them, while some people poisen them. Grrrr. I love to go to "The Chicken Store" where the cause is to SAVE THE CHICKENS!! The staff there is dedicated to their cause. The history behind the chickens is amazing, that they are still running free is wonderful. I guess you can tell that I love Key West. It's a great place to spend a winter vacation. Merry

Back
Top Bottom