The Great Debate: Free-Range vs. Coop-Raised Chickens

I have 10 acres here in Scotland, with woodland, meadow, pasture, ponds, and other wetland habitats. My chickens are in my backyard, which is around an acre in size and has a 4 foot fence to keep our dogs in when we don't want them on the road/driveway. The chickens can easily jump the fence, and we leave the gates open most of the time. There are no very tall or electrified fences on our property so theoretically they can go wherever they want.

Only one of our chickens ever really takes us up on the free range offer, our old dethroned roo, William. Even he just hangs out on the driveway most of the time. All the others just stay near their coop or favourite dust bath sites up near the pine trees.
Soon we will be moving half the flock to another coop in the next acre over, so William can have a chance to have hens again without our other roo, Johnny Cashew, bothering him as much. The new coop site will only be fenced to the north, so it will be interesting to see where the chickens choose to go.

I have two very small street rescue dogs from Romania who get along well with the chickens and can access the backyard whenever they like. I attribute our chickens continued survival to the presence of the dogs, because apparently the previous owners of the house and our next door neighbours both had chickens die due to foxes. The aerial predators here would be unlikely to take a chicken unless they were desperate, and our roos are very watchful for them. The hens have plenty of trees and tall meadow plants to take cover in, so I've never been worried about the hawks.

It's been about two years and we haven't had any losses due to predation. We had a hen disappear a couple weeks ago, so we suspected a fox, but we found her on a hidden nest two days ago. Happy days =)

I have been debating this very problem for the last month. I have had between 3 and 5 hens since 2018. The fluctuation is due to the fact that each time we lost one I would generally buy more as replacements. Over the years I have kept them all in at night and let them out into my 3 quarter acre garden. ( I am in Surrey, UK) There is a fence around the property which stops them wandering out into the road and we are home most days so could keep an eye on them.

We have had 1 killed by a domestic dog let off the lead plus at least 2 other attacks by dogs which have scared the hens witless and stopped them laying at least for a while. Our lane is a favourite dog walking run.

About a month ago in the middle of the afternoon, a young fox - probably a vixen with cubs to feed - ran in and chased the 4 hens we had then. One lost a shower of feathers and went into hiding in the bushes but survived - she is the matriarch and a wiley old bird, one of our original 4 birds. Another vanished without trace.

So afterwards we kept the hens in their run which is about 5 x 9 feet with extra loft space and a small annex also with loft and nest boxes. I then bought a large garden fruit cage/tunnel to put them in during the day. But they are not happy. They obviously miss the freedom they have always known - when I let them out for a supervised hour or so they are ecstatic!

My question is 'is it better to live a happy and free life and die early or is it better to be miserable but safe'? I am beginning to come round to the idea that the former would be what they'd choose. (There is also the point that if a fox is chasing hens in the open he may only catch one while the others scatter, whereas if he gets into the run he can catch and kill them all.)

What do others think?

Personally to me, with so many flicks getting wiped out due to bird flu being so prevalent the last few years, free ranging isn't an option ....I look at it as being a responsible chicken keeper.....bird flu is contagious and can wipe out my flock that I worked hard to get and keep as safe as I can make them....that includes from the bird flu as well as predators......which means a secure coop and run. Again just me personally but why put all the money and time into a flick only to risk their loss to something preventable by a simple covered and secure run space.

When I first got my chickens I had been reading online about the benefits of free ranging and was fully intending to let my hens and Mr. Bojangles (my Roo) do just that. But as time went on and they developed from their little puffball state to pullets, I realized that I had put too much time, effort and worry (I was legit paranoid about heating them correctly under their lamp for pretty much the first 2 months) into raising them.

I live in Virginia near the Blue Ridge Mountain range. Up here, it's not a "if we get predators" it's "when they bring all their friends to the party" mindset. I have racoons, foxes, coyotes, skunks, opossums and even bears to worry about. Don't get me started on the hawks that I've caught flying above my run and even an eagle thinking about lunch. I also have a neighbor who thinks it's fun to let his dogs run all over my property and have caught them more than once trying to figure out if my chickens were snacks or a 5 course meal. I also have a great deal of feral cats to watch out for as well. Around where I live, it's a madhouse and everything has chicken on the menu.

As much as I would love to let my ladies roam and try to find food in free range happiness, it's just not feasible for me to do so, unless I'm willing to replace my flock of babies. Generally I wouldn't actually have kept my roo but Mr. Bojangles became a necessity after we found a hawk trying test the integrity of the run's hardware cloth top. Bless his little chicken heart, he was ready to defend his ladies but it wasn't needed thank goodness.

Instead of free ranging, I often will take a lot of my clippings from when I bushhog my upper and lower pastures and take them to them in bundles. The girls go crazy for it, rooting through it, chomping down and even clucking happily when they find a spider or a bug. I always just have to remember that the grass can't be super long, so often I mow over it 2 or three times before I take it to them.

I'd love for them to be able to actually go outside of their run area, but it's just too dangerous for them here. I know it's just a matter of time before something gets one of them but I love my girls and guy and I'd be absolutely devastated if I knew it was because of me allowing it to happen.

Hey fellow chicken enthusiasts!

I've been pondering a question that has sparked quite a debate among backyard chicken keepers: Is it better to raise chickens in a free-range environment or in a coop?

On one hand, free-ranging chickens have the freedom to roam and forage, leading to a more natural lifestyle. They get to experience the joy of scratching the ground for insects, basking in the sunlight, and exploring their surroundings. It's argued that this promotes better physical and mental health, resulting in healthier and happier chickens.

On the other hand, coop-raised chickens are kept within the safety of a confined space, providing protection from predators and other potential dangers. They have a consistent food supply, clean shelter, and regulated access to fresh water. Coops also make it easier to monitor the chickens' health and ensure they receive proper nutrition.

So, which approach do you prefer and why? Are you an advocate for the freedom and autonomy of free-ranging chickens, or do you believe in the controlled environment of coop-raised chickens? Share your experiences, opinions, and insights! Let's have a lively discussion and learn from each other.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this matter. Don't hesitate to leave your comments below and join the conversation. Together, let's delve into the world of backyard chickens and shed light on this ongoing debate!
I have had 2-6 hens and 1 rooster. No chicks from them. They all passed and now I have 3 hens and a rooster. The rooster is not quite one year and the hens are younger still. They have their huge coop and about 1 acre of yard to free range. I give treatsoutside the coop and the yard has much vegetation, grass, flowers, herbs, and trees. They are fun to watch and I am looking forward to the day they go broody. I believe a free-ranger is the happiest as God didn't create them to live in cages.

I couldn't help noticing that you've implied certain factors in the two types of keeping arrangement are mutually exclusive.
A sloppy propostion leads to a sloppy debate.:p
There are very few keepers here on BYC that keep their chickens free range by any sensible definition of the meaning. This may have something to do with the name and nature of the site; Backyard Chickens.

Let me take the proposition that confined chickens are safe for example. There have been a lot of posts (possibly because this is a backyard keeping site) where predators have broken into a coop or a run and killed chickens.
On the other hand, there are comparativlly few posts where free range chickens have been predated possibly because so few keepers here actually keep free range chickens.

Backyard: a defined area of land attatched to a dwelling.
Free range: Unrestricted by physical barriers.

So, if a backyard is an acre in area but fenced, the chickens are not I would argue free range.
If the backyard is fenced in a manner that prevents the chickens from leaving the area and it has an area of two hundred square feet, is that a large run?

From a poll on BYC a few months ago the majority of keepers do not neatly fit into either definition. The majority range their chickens in a confined space that is considered seperate to the coop and run structure for varying lengths of time.

I live on 6 acres without a fence. I am new to rural living and have my first bunch of chickens. My chickens are kept in coop at night. They go in on their own. They free range all day wherever they chose although they have their favorite spots. There are lots of predators in area but i have not see any on my property. Maybe because all the trees were removed. They take cover when hawks around and i have not lost any chickens to predators. My dog did get one but none have been taken by wild animals. I have had them for over one year now.
They are very healthy, happy and lay lots of eggs all year round. Maybe I have just been fortunate. My worse complaint is they poop on my sidewalk by my door or the rooster comes to my window where i work and makes a fuss to get my attention

Hey fellow chicken enthusiasts!

I've been pondering a question that has sparked quite a debate among backyard chicken keepers: Is it better to raise chickens in a free-range environment or in a coop?

On one hand, free-ranging chickens have the freedom to roam and forage, leading to a more natural lifestyle. They get to experience the joy of scratching the ground for insects, basking in the sunlight, and exploring their surroundings. It's argued that this promotes better physical and mental health, resulting in healthier and happier chickens.

On the other hand, coop-raised chickens are kept within the safety of a confined space, providing protection from predators and other potential dangers. They have a consistent food supply, clean shelter, and regulated access to fresh water. Coops also make it easier to monitor the chickens' health and ensure they receive proper nutrition.

So, which approach do you prefer and why? Are you an advocate for the freedom and autonomy of free-ranging chickens, or do you believe in the controlled environment of coop-raised chickens? Share your experiences, opinions, and insights! Let's have a lively discussion and learn from each other.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this matter. Don't hesitate to leave your comments below and join the conversation. Together, let's delve into the world of backyard chickens and shed light on this ongoing debate!
Mine get both. They always have the freedom other then night to go out into the inclosed pen. But I also have a huge dog pen that is attached to the outside pen . Everyday I open the doors and they get to go out on the grass and search for insects. Every couple of days I rotate the dog pen to a different area for fresh grass.
I have lost way too many chickens in years past and decided this was the best way way to protect them.
I also have a chicken tractor.

I have about the same size pen. How high are your outside perches?
@Demarvell , I have one corner at 3 1/2 ft, one at 3 ft, one at 2 1/2 ft. I also have 2 others at 1 ft . The 1 ft ones are attached to my support posts for my raised coop. They are perches in the summer and will be attachment boards for the wind-break in winter.

I do true free ranging. My chiclkenspend no time in a coop except as cross over from brooder to free range, but even that has changed over time.

I hear farmore aboutmultiple losses orflocks wiped out have been in enclosed coops and runs. I lost one while everyone was still coop and run,my girls were just being let out, neighbors dog barreled through me the door and killed a girl in the 2 seconds it took me to grabthe collar, i realized in that moment my girls were safer out..i might lose 1 or 2 free ranging but i wouldnt loose all of them.. so the started free ranging. I have a small horse farm,we made sure to put hides around for them. They sleep on my back porch ( have concrete 12 feet under my roof in front 16 in back and 18 on side )we put a dog play area fence always open around a small coop that all entrances and exits/windows secured open, and 2 extralarge dog crates with perches then we have shalves 10 ft up, non working fridge converted to tool storage and another sleep area..the older birds go highest ( but a broody got her 13 day olds on top of a standard fridge, at 16 days watch tjem go up and down)

I lost one 8 week old pullet to a heron during an extreme weather event..my old pony has twice killed coyotes in the field, seen bobcats crossing the yard, have an old possum living under the coop..and see hawks and owls daily.. my roosters are good..my girls smart..the group that feathered in fastest and got it..i put my 27 march order out in coop at 3 days and then at 6 daysreleased..theygo way into the pastures, hide well, feathered in faster, flew highwr faster..

So, i free range.. even my orpingtons have adapted well..

I have all sorts

Andalusion, australorps, jubilee orpingtons, buff orpington, welsummers, easter eggers, leg bar, speckled sussex, a light brahma,salmon favorelle, couple of marans. Plus a mille fluer d'uccle, old english bantam game hen, golden sebright hen/rooster, 5 sebright crosses raised feral, sebright x easter egger, green queen cockerel and pullet, 2 partridge cochin bantams etc

Back
Top Bottom