Just started feeding non-GMO (originally wanted to do ORGANIC)

chikax

Hatching
Mar 13, 2016
I bought Tucker Milling non-GMO for .25/LB, $12.50 (50LB) in order to get healthier eggs.

I wonder why it is so cheap. What's the gimmick?

Do you see any chemicals that are bad?

I am also thinking about feeding them bags of whole grains and mix nutrients like nutra balance, fish meal and etc..

Ingredients: Milo Mill Feed, Wheat Middlings, Calclum Carbonate, Porcine Meat and Bone Meal, Flaxseed Alfalfa Meal, L-Lysine, DL_Methionine Hydroxy Analogue, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Product (yeast Metabolites), Tagetes Erecta Extract (Azetc Marigold), Tereonine, Salt, Diatomaceouse Earth, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Dried trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract (Xylanase), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vtamine E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-calcium Pantothenate, Tribasic Copper Chloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Dehydrated Plchia Pastorls Fermentation Extract(Phytase), Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Pyridoxine, Hydrochloride, Ethylediamine Dihydroiodide, Meanadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite(Source of Vitamin K activity) Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Sodium Slenite)
RUMINANT MEAT and BONE MEAL Free

Thank you very much in advance!

"(http://tuckermilling.com/non-gmo/)
16% Non-GMO Poultry Layer Mini Pellet

16% Non-GMO Poultry Layer Mini Pellet is formulated with Wheat Midds, Milo, and Black oil Sunflower seeds as the main ingredients, with Diatomaceous Earth added. It is also a No-Soy formula utilizing Menhaden fish meal for supplemental protein.
Great for laying hens and broilers. Contains Marigold Extract to enhance egg yolk color and flax seed to provide omega-3 fatty acids.
Remember to change feeds slowly over a 2 week period. Abrupt changes in laying hen’s diets can cause them to stop laying.
Guaranteed Analysis
16% Protein
3.5% Fat
8% Fiber

"

Last edited:
Looks good to me. Most of the things that are hard to pronounce are amino acids and stabilized vitamins.
However not all are stabilized so it is best to use fresh. Is the mfg. date 11/9/16? That's pretty fresh.
I think grain prices have come down this year.
The only conflict I see is that one part of the label says it contains fishmeal but the ingredient label lists pork meal. Not a problem either way but which is it? Probably the pork. Maybe they alternate depending on which is cheaper.

Last edited:
When using fish meal, do you know where the fish come from? What type? Mercury contamination could be a concern for you if you want to go all natural. Good luck!

Fishmeal for animal feed usually comes from menhaden. Not a bottom feeder and at the low end of the food chain, mercury isn't really an issue.
http://www.ingredients101.com/fishmeal.htm

I keep fishmeal on hand to increase protein in my organic 16% grower for chicks and molting adults.
Most importantly about animal protein whether it be fish, pork or insect larvae is that the levels of essential amino acids are much higher than in vegetative sources.
If I mix my 60% fishmeal with the 16% grower at a 1:10 ratio, I get 20% crude protein with enhanced levels of lysine, methionine and tryptophan.

Fishmeal for animal feed usually comes from menhaden. Not a bottom feeder and at the low end of the food chain, mercury isn't really an issue.
Good info. Thanks for the link. I always wonder about fish, even bottom fish because of contaminated plankton consumption.
I keep fishmeal on hand to increase protein in my organic 16% grower for chicks and molting adults.
Most importantly about animal protein whether it be fish, pork or insect larvae is that the levels of essential amino acids are much higher than in vegetative sources.

If I mix my 60% fishmeal with the 16% grower at a 1:10 ratio, I get 20% crude protein with enhanced levels of lysine, methionine and tryptophan.

Yes, it says 11/9/2016

I ordered it at a local feed store on Tuesday 11/8/2016 and got a call that was in on Friday, 11/11/16. I am 150 miles away from the Tucker Milling.

The cannot to be expired date can it?

The date on the tag is the day the feed was milled. If the store didn't have any on hand to sell you when you were in on Tues, they were waiting for that week's shipment, which came in late Thursday or early Friday. Looks like the feed got an express ride either straight from the mill or a quick in and out at the store's distributor.

Great info!
Could you please tell me the brand, the cost ($/LB) and how you get it (local feed store, mill...) for your Organic grower?

Back
Top Bottom