Jumbo Coturnix Hen Vent Prolapse

Pennys Mama

🦃Jake~Jake's 👩🏽‍⚕️Nurse & 🐣Hatchaholic
Oct 12, 2019
LeFlore County, Oklahoma
I should know exactly what's wrong & what to do, but maybe 2nd opinions to reassure me.

Noticed my hen in the nest acting like she was laying an egg....
I don't know if she laid today already or not bc there are several hens in her pen... Anyways, up on further inspection I see her backside has prolapsed. I Epsom salt bathed her for about 10 minutes or so. That "stuff" came out of her, I was able to get everything put back in after the bath, used PrepH. She's been panting for the last 30 minutes or so, has just stopped that. But everytime she tries to move or anything the Prolapse slides back out again. So I'm holding her wrapped in a towel hoping that it'll stay in....
What else should I do? Can she go right back into her group pen?
20200105_135547.jpg
20200105_135516.jpg
20200105_135452.jpg
20200105_135400.jpg
1578255075918367371236967568473.jpg
15782551608016784441459012535275.jpg

What a sweet little bird. Prolapse is a scary thing for us when we have to treat it. We want for it to resolve NOW. But it sometimes takes much longer than we think. The last one I treated took ten days for the prolapse to stay in.

For all health issues, I treat the bird right in my run so that they have the company of their flock to prop up their sense of well being, and I believe it helps them recover faster. I have a segregated pen for this so that a bird with such a condition will not be injured by the others pecking the injury out of curiosity.

It helps to alternate using Witch Hazel, Prep H, and hydrocortisone cream on the prolapse tissue to shrink it. I would check on my patient frequently, and I would wet a cloth with Witch Hazel when I needed to push the prolapse back inside. Keeping all the tissue moist is foremost. I would follow up after reinserting the prolapse by smoothing either the Prep H or the cortisone on the vent tissue.

My patient had an egg rupture inside her and her straining to get the remains out was what caused the prolapse. I gave her one calcium citrate tablet each day to assist her in her contractions. It took ten days for the last of the broken egg to be expelled. After that, her prolapse remained inside.

I also let her roost with the flock each night during this crisis. This was rather risky, but I made sure I got outside to retrieve her from her perch before she could mingle with the others, the danger being she could have suffered severe injury if her prolapse tissue was pecked.

My patient was a ten-year old Wyandotte hen, and she made a full recovery and is enjoying a normal life since her ordeal. With good care, and I know your patient will receive it, she should make a full recovery, also.

What a sweet little bird. Prolapse is a scary thing for us when we have to treat it. We want for it to resolve NOW. But it sometimes takes much longer than we think. The last one I treated took ten days for the prolapse to stay in.

For all health issues, I treat the bird right in my run so that they have the company of their flock to prop up their sense of well being, and I believe it helps them recover faster. I have a segregated pen for this so that a bird with such a condition will not be injured by the others pecking the injury out of curiosity.

It helps to alternate using Witch Hazel, Prep H, and hydrocortisone cream on the prolapse tissue to shrink it. I would check on my patient frequently, and I would wet a cloth with Witch Hazel when I needed to push the prolapse back inside. Keeping all the tissue moist is foremost. I would follow up after reinserting the prolapse by smoothing either the Prep H or the cortisone on the vent tissue.

My patient had an egg rupture inside her and her straining to get the remains out was what caused the prolapse. I gave her one calcium citrate tablet each day to assist her in her contractions. It took ten days for the last of the broken egg to be expelled. After that, her prolapse remained inside.

I also let her roost with the flock each night during this crisis. This was rather risky, but I made sure I got outside to retrieve her from her perch before she could mingle with the others, the danger being she could have suffered severe injury if her prolapse tissue was pecked.

My patient was a ten-year old Wyandotte hen, and she made a full recovery and is enjoying a normal life since her ordeal. With good care, and I know your patient will receive it, she should make a full recovery, also.

has it decreased in size any since the soak and the preparation H application? I feel for her and you. Good Luck!

I was able to keep her calm enough after that it has stayed inside, for now. I think that "stuff" might have been the leftovers of a soft egg. Someone in her pen laid one a couple days ago so I added some fresh oyster shell to all the pens. I think it might have been her. No one is messing with her right now, I put her in a dust pan in with her group so she'd stress less. I think I have some witch hazel and cortisone cream already to use with the prepH. Her pen has only been laying for the last week. It shrunk a LOT after the soak & prepH. I check on them multiple times a day, they're my buddies, whether they know it or not!
Thanks guys!

Add: I'll get a photo when I check on her in a bit.

I was able to keep her calm enough after that it has stayed inside, for now. I think that "stuff" might have been the leftovers of a soft egg. Someone in her pen laid one a couple days ago so I added some fresh oyster shell to all the pens. I think it might have been her. No one is messing with her right now, I put her in a dust pan in with her group so she'd stress less. I think I have some witch hazel and cortisone cream already to use with the prepH. Her pen has only been laying for the last week. It shrunk a LOT after the soak & prepH. I check on them multiple times a day, they're my buddies, whether they know it or not!
Thanks guys!

Add: I'll get a photo when I check on her in a bit.
Nothing going on with her so far today... I'd like to think it would be resolved, but I know better than that!

Did we discuss possible calcium therapy for her? It might be worth considering. It can help "reset" the egg cycle. Since she's such a petite gal, I'd just use a half a tablet of calcium per day for maybe a week.
This is what I have, chewable tablets, how do I get it into her? Break it into pieces...?
15783518689607125044326686218428.jpg
15783519091328931959391783307323.jpg

Back
Top Bottom