Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Not a good choice!

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

MamaPoult

Near the clouds⛅
Jan 20, 2024
The Woods AK
Hi I am looking for a heritage chicken breed that is big and grows fast! Would Jersey giants be a good choice?? I do not want hybrid meat birds so these looked appealing since they're the biggest heritage breed.
Feel free to weigh in!
Thanks!

For a fast growing breed, you definitely do not want Jersey Giants. They get huge, but not quickly. 8-10 months is the earliest I'd want to butcher mine and in that time they have eaten a LOT. Slow cooking is best at that age. As Amer stated, you'd be better off with another breed if fast-grown meat is your main goal. I keep Giants because I love the breed and they do have good traits but feed to meat ratio is not one of them.

I have had JG's and, as others have said, they take forever to mature and that includes laying eggs. I currently have Bresse and a heavy bodied strain of Rhode Island Reds as dual purpose birds. Both mature fairly quickly, both are prolific layers. Roosters of both give a 3-lb table ready carcass at 14 weeks and the hens start laying between 5 and 6 months. The male offspring of a Bresse rooster over an RIR hen hit 3-lbs carcass weight at 12 weeks. The hens start laying at 5-6 months but they seem heavier bodied than either parent.

For a fast growing breed, you definitely do not want Jersey Giants. They get huge, but not quickly. 8-10 months is the earliest I'd want to butcher mine and in that time they have eaten a LOT. Slow cooking is best at that age. As Amer stated, you'd be better off with another breed if fast-grown meat is your main goal. I keep Giants because I love the breed and they do have good traits but feed to meat ratio is not one of them.
While they reach their height at about 9 months, they don't fully fill out until around 18 months. Personality is fantastic, though.

Cornish (not Cornish crosses) tend to be surprisingly meaty and are a heritage breed themselves.
I have had JG's and, as others have said, they take forever to mature and that includes laying eggs. I currently have Bresse and a heavy bodied strain of Rhode Island Reds as dual purpose birds. Both mature fairly quickly, both are prolific layers. Roosters of both give a 3-lb table ready carcass at 14 weeks and the hens start laying between 5 and 6 months. The male offspring of a Bresse rooster over an RIR hen hit 3-lbs carcass weight at 12 weeks. The hens start laying at 5-6 months but they seem heavier bodied than either parent.
Ok thanks a lot for the info all! I think I might look into different breeds😁

Back
Top Bottom