January to February 2024 Duckling Hatch-Along!

Pics
That is normal for ducks. They will lay an egg and leave for awhile.

Could you get a picture of the egg when you candle it?
Eggs can go for a week or two without heat as long as it hasn’t started incubation yet.
You could incubate the egg yourself, or maybe even put the egg back in the nest and see if mama duck will incubate for you.
Okay I would love for the egg to hatch. Yes I get some pictures. We have it under a heat lamp.

1000040744.jpg
1000040742.jpg

Attachments

• 1000040743.jpg
    1000040743.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 3
@Antiocheggers
It doesn’t look like your egg has started development yet. That air cell is pretty large.. any idea how old the egg is?
This isn’t quite what I meant 😅 I meant if you knew the temperature and humidity needed for your egg. For my duck eggs, they need about 99.5°F and 50% humidity - Muscovy eggs might be similar.

@Antiocheggers
It doesn’t look like your egg has started development yet. That air cell is pretty large.. any idea how old the egg is?

This isn’t quite what I meant 😅 I meant if you knew the temperature and humidity needed for your egg. For my duck eggs, they need about 99.5°F and 50% humidity - Muscovy eggs might be similar.
No i don't. We didn't know she was up there until we started finding the eggs 😳. I don't know anything about the humidity.

I have hatched eggs in a styrofoam cooler with a 40 watt bulb pointed towards it and a cup of water in with it with the cover on. I had a reading lamp clamped to the side of the cooler and cut a hole for the neck of it so that it would keep the heat in. It worked and I have hatched out three ducklings this way before. I turned them 7 times a day and candled them once a week until closer to hatch time. Muscovy eggs take 35 days instead of the regular 28. Don't give up on it if you see any signs of life at all .

I have hatched eggs in a styrofoam cooler with a 40 watt bulb pointed towards it and a cup of water in with it with the cover on. I had a reading lamp clamped to the side of the cooler and cut a hole for the neck of it so that it would keep the heat in. It worked and I have hatched out three ducklings this way before. I turned them 7 times a day and candled them once a week until closer to hatch time. Muscovy eggs take 35 days instead of the regular 28. Don't give up on it if you see any signs of life at all .
Thank you I appreciate that. 🙏

No i don't. We didn't know she was up there until we started finding the eggs 😳. I don't know anything about the humidity.
From the size of the air cell, the egg looks a bit old, but you could always try incubating it anyway.

I’d recommend buying a small incubator.
You could try to make your own incubator with a styrofoam box, the lamp, a water dish, and a thermometer + hydrometer - like what Luv Ducks said :lol: but buying a ‘bator is much easier.

Back
Top Bottom