January to February 2024 Duckling Hatch-Along!

Pics
Yes she's a Muskogee I just didn't know what feed to put that on so I put it on this one I appreciate you answering me I'll see if Miss Lydia could make some suggestions. Oh she flies up there we've watched her fly in and then he comes around and he flies in, they take turns. This isn't the first time they've used that little notch in the tree. :idunno
Clever girl, trying to keep her babies away from predators. Of course gravity isn’t in her favor ☹️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240206-110451.png
    Screenshot_20240206-110451.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 4
I have never had one of my Muscovy brood up in a tree only in their coops. Not only is she predator material but so are her ducklings if she manages to keep them inside the nest. If they land on the ground they will not be safe at all. And most likely mom will stay on her eggs instead of going down to be with any that fall.
Is this girl yours or a feral?
I wouldn't try to put any food up where she is that will really open up the menu. if that was a thought. If she is yours I would get her down and the eggs lock her up so she can't get out, she may get on her eggs she may not but at least she would be safe.

I have Muscovy ducks too but mine do not have access to trees. They are excellent flyers and she probably feels her babies will be safer up there than on the ground. I think if you move the nest to the ground she will be subjected to predators and will abandon it. Usually if you move eggs they will not take to them again. They will often use the same nesting site too. She is a pretty duck. They eat regular duck food and mine love lettuce and cucumbers and zuchinini. Being wild they probably know how to fend for themselves.
Yes she most because she keeps coming back to that spot. Is she kicking the eggs out or just a hole somewhere in the nest? I don't want to disturb her I hate that I keep finding eggs on the ground. Any suggestions for the eggs?
1000040563.jpg

I have never had one of my Muscovy brood up in a tree only in their coops. Not only is she predator material but so are her ducklings if she manages to keep them inside the nest. If they land on the ground they will not be safe at all. And most likely mom will stay on her eggs instead of going down to be with any that fall.
Is this girl yours or a feral?
I wouldn't try to put any food up where she is that will really open up the menu. if that was a thought. If she is yours I would get her down and the eggs lock her up so she can't get out, she may get on her eggs she may not but at least she would be safe.
No she not mine. There is a pond across the street that she goes back and forth to.

Yes she most because she keeps coming back to that spot. Is she kicking the eggs out or just a hole somewhere in the nest? I don't want to disturb her I hate that I keep finding eggs on the ground. Any suggestions for the eggs? View attachment 3741837
If you had an incubator and wanted Muscovy ducks you could try to hatch them yourself. In a few days you would be able to tell if they were good or not by candling them. They might not be fertile and she might be kicking them out or the tree is not able to support the nest.

Back
Top Bottom