I've decided!... I think

I've read a lot of horror stories about drakes and their treatment of females and I'm so grateful to not have had those issues in my own bevy.  I no longer have ducks but started off with a mixed bevy of day-old ducklings that included 2 female KCs, a pair of WH, a pair of black Swedish and 2 blue Swedish who both turned out to be drakes.  I kept them all together, not knowing about the issues of having too many drakes and not enough females.  They naturally paired off and the drakes worked in teams on predator patrol.  They would take turns keeping watch while the rest of the bevy got to eat.  There was no fighting or over-sexing or ganging up on a favorite female. 

I guess at that time I had it in my head that ducks were monogamous creatures so I didn't worry about them. 
Oh wow whAt a great flock!!!

Oh wow whAt a great flock!!!

Thank you. The only issue I ever had was when one of females hatched out a clutch during her recovery from a fox attack. I had her separated but the first time I let she and all her babies out with the rest of the bevy, her mate was so excited to see her, he accidently trampled one of their babies so I continued to keep them separated until the babies were bigger. I gave him time out with the rest of the bevy and to get into the pond and then for a few hours each day, I would put him in the barn and let momma and her babies out to forage, socialize and get a good swim in.

Thank you.  The only issue I ever had was when one of females hatched out a clutch during her recovery from a fox attack.  I had her separated but the first time I let she and all her babies out with the rest of the bevy, her mate was so excited to see her, he accidently trampled one of their babies so I continued to keep them separated until the babies were bigger. I gave him time out with the rest of the bevy and to get into the pond and then for a few hours each day, I would put him in the barn and let momma and her babies out to forage, socialize and get a good swim in. 
Aweeeeee

You can seperate one in sight of the others. When we separated Kaine, we just made a pen in the yard and he could talk to the flock and see the flock. And two of the ducks visited him most of the time but he couldn't cause any trouble.

Yeah that's true, didn't think of that

Thanks you all so much! It seems like drakes are a little too rough!! I'll just still with my girls. 1 Rouen, 1 welsh, and 1 khaki!!!!!!
1f60a.png

I am so glad for you. Starting a flock is a big decision so I think it is important that YOU are happy with it. I am sure you will love all your girls and of course we will want pictures. Check out the care and raising sticky thread and peruse the predators forum for ideas. If you like you can check out my baby book in my signature. It has my initial learning curve documented and lots of pictures. I have 2 of your 3 breeds (no kahki). And enjoy every second of 'lingdom - they really grow up so fast. :D

Back
Top Bottom